Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dumb SATA Question

• Please log in to reply

RichieB16

RichieB16

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, so I have never built a computer with SATA components in it...the last computer I built was before SATA.

Anyway, here's the dumb question. If I use this Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard would I be able to have a SATA Hard Drive and 2 SATA DVD drives hookup? I'm not sure if there are enough ports on the motherboard to support that as I know nothing about how the SATA cables work.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The board has 4 SATA ports and you can have three SATA devices on it easily.
There are other variations of this chipset from Gigabyte and some have up to eight SATA ports on them. Whether you need eight SATA ports is a question only you can answer, but pretty much any decent board now bar the budget boards tend to have at least four SATA ports on them.

RichieB16

RichieB16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, I see that now. I was looking for that in the specs and couldn't find that. Just read over it I guess. Thanks!!!