Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

1 gig RAM only....why?

• Please log in to reply

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I and a friend have just built a PC with a GA-MA790X-DS4 MB, Athlon 64 X2 6400+ CPU, SATA 400 G HD, 750w pwr supply, and have 4- 1gig sticks of OCZ 6400 DDR2 dual channel SLI ready (NVIDIA) 800mhz RAM, std Athlon heat sink/fan, ATI video card. At first start-up we got one continuos beep. We started investigating card, board and now have it running but it is only running on 1 stick of RAM. This board is 16 g capable. Any suggestions?

While I wait for a reply I will continue to research site and MB site.

Mike

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does it matter what stick of ram is in what slot? that the easy way to check to see if the ram is bad. If not it's most likely bad memory slots in the MB. Does it matter what slot the memory is in on the motherboard? you need to try every combination to make sure.

SRX660

lamuskrat

lamuskrat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
NO, we have checked the RAM, and it doesn't matter which slot it is in. We have played musical chairs with the 4 sticks. According to my tech, he moved the RAM around. We know the RAM is good we had it in another board. I have already requested a replacement board of another brand.... I am going with the ASUS m2n32 sli deluxe wireless. It has very good reviews, just cost me more $$$. They are overnighting the board to me at their expense. This board has been checked and recommended by AMD for that cpu.

Thank you.
Mike