Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu issue

• Please log in to reply

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey all!

I have a quick Ubuntu question that I am having great difficulty solving. I know many of you are aware with the multiple desktops offered by Linux. My issue is, when ever I open a window, that window is displayed in all the desktops.

I originally had some setting (that I played around with) that made it so, everytime a window opens, it appears on all desktops. Any ideas how to keep Window 1 on Desktop 1?

Also, I had a bit of trouble with the Desktop Effects (installing). It constantly says that "compiz-kde" could not be found. I had this working at one point, but it no longer works...

All help is appreciated!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Just a note to begin Ubuntu with the KDE desktop is known as Kubuntu. Ubuntu has a gnome desktop.

I am sure about the windows in every desktop thing but as far as compiz goes you can try something like this:

$sudo apt-get purge compiz-kde

$sudo apt-get install compiz-kde

Note: apt-get uninstall will only remove the program but will leave your custom configurations. This is not what we want. We want you settings back to a default.

Also there is a package named something like compiz-kde-setting-manager. Search for it in the Synaptic Package Manager. If it exists purge it, then reinstall it.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 July 2008 - 03:59 PM.

ipods619

ipods619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Titan8990,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry bout that, I meant to type Kubuntu, but I guess it slipped. Anyhow, I tried running the commands you had given, but to no dispair, it said: "Could not run the specificed command." (for both)

As for the package location, I was able to use Adapt Manager to attempt to discover the packages, but I could not see it in there. Any other ideas?

Regards,

ipods619

ipods619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I'd also like to point out for those Linux nerds that I am unable to install KDE4.x ... I've tried numerous ways but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

(I editted the /etc/apt/sources.list files, then tried to do an update but no luck)

Any suggestions?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you go to the Synaptic Package Manager and click on Settings -> Repositories what do you have checked?

compiz-kde is the name of the package. Are you having any other issue with aptitude?

ipods619

ipods619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Thanks for the help, but I figured out what the issue was. I needed to reinstall KDE4 via sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop (or what ever the command is)

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,