Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No ICONS on Desktop after Trojan.Start

• Please log in to reply

eadler

eadler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend whose XP Professional got a TROJAN.Start Virus which norton picked up and quarantined. He complained of getting pop ups as well. I told him to go to PCTOOLS and download and register their spyware, which he did. He shut the pc down and in the morning he had not icons on his desktop. I could not right click on the desktop to get to properties, but alt ctrl del brought up system manager. I could run Word, norton, spyware and update spyware, but I could not find IE or Control panel. In browsing from the Task Manager, it seems as if all system files were missing. I wanted to repair from the original CD ROM, but it asked for a restore FLOPPY which I did not have.

I don't understand what happened here. Since norton did caught the virus, could it have damaged the software?

Thank you,
Elizabeth Adler :tazz:

Advertisements