Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I just downgraded Vista to XP, and need help

• Please log in to reply

tylerlooby

tylerlooby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an HP pavilion dv2000 notebook, which came w/ Vista. It has 1Gb of ram, and therefore is extremely hard to run games such as World of Warcraft. I tried loading Ubuntu onto it, but just decided to put XP on it. I cleared Vista and Ubuntu, and have XP on there. Now here is where the problem is: I can't get any drivers for it and therefore it is offline. Ive tried installing 2wire HomePortal monitor onto it and plugging router directly into it, but it won't connect at all. Right now I'm on my mom's computer and was wondering what i should do to get the proper XP drivers onto my laptop so it can work. Right now it does have HP wireless assistant, the product of installing some drivers intended for an old Compaq laptop.

Advertisements

tylerlooby

tylerlooby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone got any help on getting XP to work?

tylerlooby

tylerlooby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
so no one can help me? or still searching?

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I can. but I need the exact model number. Should be on the bottom it'll say DV2xxx. dv2000 is the series.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
here are drivers at hp

http://h10025.www1.h...r...7074&dlc=en

hp is not too agreeable when it comes changing its os
it usually provides it own updates and such

the change from vista to xp is not user friendly
so you got 2 things against you here
erasing hp products and change from vista to xp
its not impossible but it may slow your computer down

Edited by Mr Freeze, 04 July 2008 - 11:26 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As Mr Freeze as indicated, it will be difficult. Since XP is virtually no longer available, most new computers that have Vista only have drivers written for the Vista OS.

R2vicious

R2vicious

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
At my time of working at Best Buy, we were told one thing to make sure our customers knew before they walked out the door.

Do not buy a computer with vista and downgrade it to xp. The drivers on the computers are designed for Vista not Xp and xp could always pose a problem.