Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backup Firefox

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

I am trying to backup FireFox using MozBackup, its been going well up until now.

I get part way through the backup process when I get continuous messages saying

"Cannot write to C\documents and se........<20:the process can not access the file because it is being used by another process>

I have tried backup while both TB and FF are closed. Currently using the latest version of MozBackup and FF2.0.0.14

As far as I can see there's nothing showing as running in Task Manager that could be associated with Firefox?

Anyone any ideas.

Many thanks

Grandpa

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Guess the error message got truncated in some way, but you might want to use Firefox add-on called FEBE. I've never had a problem with this add-on making the FF backup on schedule.

BTW, the latest secure FF is version 2.0.0.15.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 04 July 2008 - 09:29 PM.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

There is a easier way to backup your Firefox profile than using Extensions.

http://www.tech-foru...asy-way-176467/

I have tested this with Firefox 2 and Firefox 3. Both work flawlessly. This method is the same method used by FEBE but without using the extension.

Cheers,
Mak

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you read the steps for backing up at tech-forums, I can't see how not using FEBE is easier when FEBE does all this for you automatically and on a schedule you set. Extensions aren't that bad except for the ones you install because you like them, but don't really need them. I think FEBE is a very useful add-on if you wish to schedule FF backups and it has never been a problem working with any of my other numerous web development add-ons. Works well even with the few "I want, but don't need" types, too.

Some people just have an aversion to add-ons or have a problem with FF which they blame on add-ons. It's rare that you get an add-on for FF that gives you problems BUT, it is possible as some posts on GTG will attest.

Ron

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello Ron,

I can see your point. But i do not see the point of using a extension to do something that can be done with a simple right click>add to archive. I don't like have so many extensions added on to Firefox as all it does is create clutter. Plus if you format and reinstall Firefox you have to wait until after you install FEBE to get your backup working. My method will allow you to just unzip the archive and be done with your preferences all setup for you. Everything from your download location to your history is saved.

Just a personal preference thing just as using a extension is.

Cheers,
Mak