Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Disc Drive Device Configuration Jumper

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, so I am about to build a new computer and use a pair of SATA DVD drives. I have only had IDE drives in the past...and I remember on those there was a jumper to distinguish a master and slave drive. I see on the pictures of the SATA drives, they have no such jumper. So, how do you distinguish the master and slave drives (or do you)?

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sata drives are set by the sata port you plug them into. My Compaq desktop has 2 sata drives. The "C" drove is plugged into the Sata "0" and the second drive is connected to the Sata "2" connector. It really doesn't matter i guess because the computer shows the drives as "c" and "e" with my DVD-RW inbetween as "d". Perhaps if i plugged another HD into my Sata "1" port the drive letters would switch around, but i doubt it because windows already sees the drive as the "e".

If you wanted to be careful just choose the main OS drive for the "0" port and the next drive in the "1" port, so on and so on.