Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I switch to XP?

• Please log in to reply

Daboa

Daboa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747 with Vista Home Premium SP1. I keep hearing about how Vista is bad and how XP is faster and more compatible. Assuming that I have a copy of XP lying around, would it be a wise move to downgrade? I haven't had any major problems with vista besides a few software compatibility issues, but if XP is faster and better... I'm just wondering if this is a good idea and what kind of performance changes I can expect. One specific question, though not of huge importance, is will XP improve 3D game performance on my laptop?

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.80 Ghz
2 GB RAM
200 GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon X1200

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
First off, most of what you have "heard" about vista is largely untrue. I would even go so far as to say myth. You must take into consideration the hardware platform and what you want to do with it. Now lets look at your hardware. AMD's mobile chips, the turion, are not competitive with Intel's Core lineup. This means the current Intel mobile cpu's. AMD released the Turion lineup to be competive with the Pentium M. While AMD can compete on price, it is very challenged in the area of performance.

This doesn't mean that it a slow system by any means. It's just that this is a budget oriented laptop. SO there are going to be compromises. Now the video card is way better than the standard Intel integrated video solution. It still isn't known as a gaming video card. It should do quite well with day to day tasks including watching dvd's and video content.

You certainly won't enjoy playing today's current generation of video games. Older games should be able to play on it ok.

If you want to get a little bit more performance you can disable some of the vista features. For example you can disable the Sidebar. Another option is to disable the Aero interface.

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
The media and community has given Vista a bad name, it's a collection of small personal problems that make it *look* bad,
most of those problems aren't actually hard to fix by a tech.

If you love to learn you could read up on some articles that explain the differences in Vista,
just take this word from me: There are a lot of things changed under the hood that 90% (just a number) of the Vista users will never know about.
An example is the new smart memory management, as I like to say: "Not used memory is wasted memory"

Vista is there for more reliable, performance and efficient use. Not to make you work/play/surf/... slower.
Do not make your decision based on what others say, but on what you experience.