Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Boot. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

420Joey

420Joey

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I Have a "Hp Pavilion 510n" that refuses to boot. When I turn it on, the screen does not surface, and it beeps. I've counted over 20 beeps intervals maybe every 10 seconds or less. I've tried with and without the monitor and it just constantly beeps and does nothing more.

Is this a hardware problem? Is this a internal or external hardware problem? The computer itself is somewhat old but always has functioned correctly in the past.

Is there more information required in order for a more accurate diagnosis? If so, what? I am in dire need of help and information.

Appreciate any feedback in advance. Thank you.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

That beep sounds like the system can't find any usable memory. either the ram (memory) is bad or you can try and reseat it, it could have come lose.

Caution before touching anything inside the case ground yourself by touching the case to discharge static electricity that is harmfull to computer parts.

With the computer off and unpluged Open the case side, find the ram at the ends of each stick will be 2 white clips push down on these to releasr the ram. Then with the white clips in the open position line up the ram and push down untill the clips go back into the locked position. try and boot.

If no go then repeat the procedure only install the ram in the slot (same color) next to it.

If this all fails then I would try new ram

Rick

Edited by Doby, 28 April 2005 - 08:55 PM.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yep

I sounds like a memory problem to me. Make sure things like your ram, graphics card, or sound card are seeded correctly. It's possible something got bumped and knocked out...Did you take apart the case recently? Just need to know

David