Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/RW DRIVES

• Please log in to reply

Criddle

Criddle

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Help!
My son is having a problem with his DVD/RW Drive not functioning. It is an IDE 1004 which is not workinh . In Devive Manager the drive has the dreaded yellow exclamation mark. Properties states as follows:
"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware". He has tried all the recommendations but to no avail, even tried replacing it from my unused computer with the same result. He is running on Windows XP Home.
Any thoughts friends?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Criddle...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Criddle

Criddle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Wannabe,
I am new to this site and am not sure if I have sent my reply to you or not( in other words how to post ), so forgive me if I repeat myself.
Thank you so much for your rapid response to my query. My son has followed your intructions and has gone into the registry and the answer to your question is "Yes", both upper and lower filters are shown ( two references to both ). Where do I go from there?
Regards
CRIDDLE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the left pane, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file oldfilters and save it to your desktop.
In the right pane, right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change.

Do this for both instances of the filters.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Did the missing drives return?

Criddle

Criddle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Wannabe,
Again I thank you for your prompt reply. My son has followed all your instructions and he is over the moon to report that the drives have now returned and he has successfully tested them. In a matter of hours you have solved a problem that try as we may over the past couple of weeks have been unable to resolve. I am so pleased that I found the site yesterday and would recommend any computer novice to register.
He has only one final question to raise and that is what does he do with the "Old Filters" that he is now showing on his desktop?
So pleased is he with the result tha he has now registered in his own name on the site, and I'm sure he will add his thanks.
Regards
CRIDDLE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm glad that sorted the problem... :)

The "oldfilters" file on the desktop can be deleted. It's a "precautionary backup" of the key we removed from the registry and it's no longer needed.