Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrup

• Please log in to reply

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hmm, I'm not sure I could do that because I haven't the slightest idea what the ram and harddrive looks like! :)

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
then check with local repair shop in your area
they can be the ones to replace the missing ntoskrnl.exe
watch out for high costs and charges for repairs

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When repair shops fix your computer, is there any way of them looking at your files, I had a password protected log in, will they be able to bypass that and look at my pictures, documents etc? Because a relative could do this for me, yet I'm worried as I feel my privacy is being invaded and I hate that kind of thing.. it really is my last option.
And how long would it take to fix it? Would they be able to do it there and then if they had a XP Pro cd?

Also, any ideas on how I could wipe the computer from the screens I can get to? (the black ones, have no access to the blue 'welcome log in' etc screens, so can't even log in..)

Edited by cofuffle, 06 July 2008 - 12:16 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16837116196

http://www.newegg.co.......p;x=12&y=29

look at that site

important information and pictures can be taken out of harddrive
you can use a ide/sata 2.0 cable
if you do it this way its better to use the power supply you hook up harddrive to
thats cheaper than repair shop

http://www.newegg.co... sata 2.0 cable

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
$200.. that's about £100! No chance, laptops are only £300.
I'd rather take a hammer to my hard drive and throw it all in the skip!

Edited by cofuffle, 06 July 2008 - 12:29 PM.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
your best bet is either to know someone with the same version you have
and do a repair...wndows xp pro upgrade...or use ide sata cable 2.0
or slave it to another computer
your probably right spending that much money is too much

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
What do you mean "slave it to another computer", and if you could, could you describe the proceedure please?
And when I take my hammer to the hard drive, where about's is the information stored? And is it safe to hit it?!

Edited by cofuffle, 06 July 2008 - 12:33 PM.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Insert your XP disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command prompt option and type in the following: copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v, where d is the letter of your cd drive, press enter, take the cd out restart your computer

Hello cofuffle,

I supose that you didn't tried this above. Well we can try another thing. If you can copy x:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe from another computer to flopy disk. Then from flopy disk on your computer type copy a:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v press enter, take the flopy out and restart your computer.

Regards,

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Where do I get "x:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe" from? I suppose I have that on this computer, but I really don't want to mess with this computer if possible, it is too important!
And no I didn't put the XP cd in, as the broken computer is XP Professional, and the cd I have is XP Home Edition. Does that matter? Or will I be able to retrieve the missing file from the XP Home Edition cd?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
http://www.dtidata.c...ave-hard-drive/

theres a tutorial on slaving your harddrive to another computer
save your pictures and valuable info that way

while its slaved you could try install the missing ntoskrnl.exe
after you retrieve your pictures and stuff
that might work.....if it does then try it
see if it boots up

Advertisements

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, that tutorial was helpful as the pictures showed be where about the harddrive is. I think I am in favour for the smashing option, I'll have to make an excuse to why I want to do this, as my parents still don't even know that computer has broke, so have to come up with an excuse on how the hard drive became magically crushed.. hmm!

But I will attempt to get hold of a XP Pro cd first. Then I'll try the Xp Home Edition cd, see if there is any luck with that.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time out to help me, I really do appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Edited by cofuffle, 06 July 2008 - 01:04 PM.

S Khan

S Khan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am experiencing a similar problem on my pc, Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install the following file.

I have Windows XP Home edition and luckily have the original recovery cds that came wih the computer but before the re-installation begins, I get a warning that all the data on my hard drive will be lost.

I couldn't bear that coz it has 6 years of family photos on it. Please help!

S Khan

S Khan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
24 hours and still no reply. Somebody please help!

cofuffle

cofuffle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
S Khan - I'm not very knowlagable about computers, but I think there is the option of taking out your hard drive and placing it in another computer, and then safely move all the photos onto the other computer, and then you can begin the re-installation on your broken computer!
I would advise you seek expert advice and help, though. :)

Also - if anyone is interested.. my computer is still intact but is not in use! It has just sat there on the table since it broke. And still, no one else knows! :)