Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Overheating, Freezing!

• Please log in to reply

kaelm

kaelm

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Image

Hi all,
I'm really frustrated now with my pc and have came to seek expert advice after trying and
trying to fix my pc it never seems to be working. My pc at the moment is being run by a
desktop fan without that it overheats and restarts? i don't know why it overheats but it does
and thats why I'm here.
Also i have had to turn down the hardware acceleration on my graphics card so my pc don't freeze,
with the occasional blue screen, soon as i turn it up it will freeze after a few minutes.
So if anyone here can help id appreciate it loads!! Ive give you some of my computer specs below.
If any more info needed ask because i don't know what to give, Thanks in advance :)!

Computer specs:
Microsoft Windows XP PRO
SERVICE PACK 3 (BUILD 2600)
DIRECT X 9.0C
GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GTS 320MB
cPU: AMD ATHLON 64 X2
CORE PROCESSOR 3600+
2.00 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTEK M2V
RAM: DDR2 1024MB

Edited by kaelm, 05 July 2008 - 05:35 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome kaelm to geeks to go. Lets see if I can give you some ideas and resolve this. The CPU is most likely the culprit. It shuts down to protect itself from overheating.
Is the fan on the CPU working?
Are the fans and heat sink clear of debris?
Did you build this? or factory built?
How long has this been a problem?

I would suspect the fan or thermopaste on the heat sink.
Download Mother board monitor or Belkin from my signature and we can look at the temps.

kaelm

kaelm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the welcome :)

Temperatures:
Posted Image

The temperatures raised about 1 Celsius every 30 seconds after turning the desktop fan off?

I then turned the fan back on when the motherboard temperature got to 47 Celsius and it went straight back down to
37 Celsius.

Is the fan on the CPU working? Yes.
Are the fans and heat sink clear of debris? Yes.
Did you build this? or factory built? The pc was built by hand which was bought by me off a website. I then installed Xp Pro onto it.
How long has this been a problem? Overheating? I would say about a month. I have had the pc for about a year now.

The graphics card problem has been a problem ever since I've had it.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by kaelm, 07 July 2008 - 11:59 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...no overclocking of any kind
throw in a couple of case fans...one in the back blowing out of the case (up high in the case)and one in the front blowing into the case..(low)..across hard drives..
wouldn't hurt to try another video card