Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everytime I shut down my PC every file gets deleted. HELP.

• Please log in to reply

Ineedcomputerhelp1

Ineedcomputerhelp1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me because every time I shut down my computer, when I start it up, every file is deleted. Every picture, music file, book mark, and setting in general is gone. It looks like when I first got this computer. I dont know why it's doing this, and it just started this morning. I've ran many virus scans and they all say its not a virus. Please please help me.

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Question:
Is it only removing items that are on your desktop and start menu? Along with favorites for internet explorer?

Sounds like you may have a corrupted user account.

Try this:

Open up My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > [User Name] (Should be whatever your account name is called)

Within your account folder should be listed things like desktop, my documents, favorites, and the likes. Are any of your older items listed there? It probably won't have any of your more recent stuff because it could have been saving that information to a user account that is reset every time you turn on your pc.

Try digging around in there and we'll see where we stand.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Are you using a user-restricted account under XP Pro. ??

-Abydos