Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfering from laptop to external hardrive: will a virus folow?

• Please log in to reply

e.coli

e.coli

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there

just a little question: my laptop as a virus (the (0xc0000005) application error). i tried a lot of things and it doesn't work. therefore, i decided to do a system restore. but i have a lot files, pictures and videos that haven't been saved. so i would like to transfer them to an external hardrive, but i'm also afraid that the virus will follow and my external hardrive will be infected too. my question is: if i only transfer files, pictures and videos will i also transfer a virus without know it? and is it safe (for the external hardrive) to do so...

thanks a lot!

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Hello there

just a little question: my laptop as a virus (the (0xc0000005) application error). i tried a lot of things and it doesn't work. therefore, i decided to do a system restore. but i have a lot files, pictures and videos that haven't been saved. so i would like to transfer them to an external hardrive, but i'm also afraid that the virus will follow and my external hardrive will be infected too. my question is: if i only transfer files, pictures and videos will i also transfer a virus without know it? and is it safe (for the external hardrive) to do so...

thanks a lot!

Hello e.coli,

System Restore does not affect your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or your mail) so you won't lose changes made to these files.

Regards,

e.coli

e.coli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello there

thanks a lot!

Hello e.coli,

System Restore does not affect your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or your mail) so you won't lose changes made to these files.

Regards,

hey thx for replying

does this mean that i don't have to transfer my works into an external hardrive??? will my pictures and movies be deleted???

thx, sorry for being so computer-ignorant....

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
IF you are doing a "system restore" from within windows that should not affect your files including the virus... if you do a "system recovery" it may and may not affect data files and may and may not affect the virus..... in other words if your files are saved it is possible that the virus is saved as well... your best bet is to pull off the files you want and then scan then on a computer that you know is not infected ( even the one you pull them from AFTER redoing it ).. That way you are fairly sure but again no av program is flawless...

e.coli

e.coli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
QUOTE from e.coli
hello.. thx for replying...

i would like to know what i should do know than to get the virus removed...well, i'm not even sure that it's a virus...actually, the problem is : 0xc0000005 application error... there's a pop out window that comes out each time i open window. then there is only the wallpaper and nothing else..... i tried boot in safe mode but nothing....

do you think you can help me???? helpsmilie.gif

thx alot!!!!

QUOTE from shard92
well you could try what I told you to do in the last post... back up the data then either reinstall the windows with the av program of your choice or put the backup in a different computer that has an av program and then scan the backup...

But as you said it may not be a virus either... it may be a corrupted application. when exactly does it give you this error and what is the exact error.... oh and you should post this in the thread so others might benefit

thx

Well the exact error is: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

it comes out when i try to start window. The window pops out when i'm done signing in to my account.

there are some threads that is related to this, but they all require HighJackThis which i don't have... beside, if i have it, i wouldn't know how to post the scan in a thread because i don't have access to internet from my laptop which is the one that has the problem. here is a link to a thread that solved the same problem: http://www.geekstogo...ror-t56877.html

thx

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well I'm not much help with the hi-jackthis as I'm an amatuer when it comes to that.... Maybe try posting a topic there about your issue to see if they can advise you.... Not sure what you will be able to do though unless you can get into windows either full or safe mode....

e.coli

e.coli

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well thx any way...

i think i'll just do a system restore.....

i tried to transfer data but the laptop doesn't recognize usb key or external hardrive....

thx for your help!!! :)