Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How the Heck do I protect my computer?

• Please log in to reply

I_Need_a_Geek

I_Need_a_Geek

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Forgive me if I'm asking questions incorrectly or asking the wrong questions here altogether, but it has come to my attention that the Smitfraud problem I'm having is rooted in my RAM?!?!?! How in the world do you protect/scan RAM? I have a pretty good (I think) virus scanner (Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition), but I've never heard of any virus scans or anti-spyware programs that scan the RAM of a computer...

Additionally, if anyone can tell me, is there anything I should know before going ahead with things like Smitfraud-Fix and the one that removes Vundo? I looked over some of the stuff and I think it's safe enough for me to go ahead following the directions posted in the forums, but I am a newbie when it comes to this techie stuff; anything I wouldn't be anticipating? Any common problems that arise? I know a couple of people posted things that happened, but it seems as though they didn't quite follow the directions to a T as I plan to. (Currently I am infected by Virtumonde [Vundo, as I understand it], Smitfraud and Smitfraud-C and a few-thousand variants, as well as Zlob and possibly WinFixer or something like that and possibly a couple of variations on that name as well; I have heard that viruses of the nature of these will cause problems that compound quickly, but I seem to have had these for a number of months and have yet to experience the "Blue Screen of Death," so what gives? Also, why did none of these problems go away when I reformatted my computer?)

I guess the bottom line for me is that I don't know anything about how to protect my computer from malware/spyware/adware/any-kind-of-ware/viruses/trojans/worms, etc. Can anybody give me any tips or refer me to a good antivirus, maybe something better than what I've got? And can anyone tell me if Spybot Search & Destroy is truly reliable? What about Windows Defender? Which is right? Which is wrong? Who's good? Who's bad?

I know I've just asked an awful lot of questions. If you can answer even just one, please do. And, yes, I'm a complete computer idiot--if you couldn't tell reading my questions, I'm telling you now...computers just aren't my thing. If you can help it, when you answer my questions, please try to put them in Layman's terms.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
First off, you need to understand a bit about how RAM works. The hard drive is what everything is stored on permanently. RAM is a temporary storage while Windows is running. What Smitfraud is telling you is that the program it's trying to remove is already loaded into the RAM so it can't remove it.

Malware removal advice removed. Only fully trained staff members are allowed to give malware advice.

Edited by Kat, 07 July 2008 - 03:21 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hello I_Need_a_Geek, and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Please disregard the advise given by jt1990 as good as his intentions are he is not trained or allowed to give malware help here at Geeks to Go. Since it appears that you have a Malware problem; you need to start a new thread in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area where a Staff Memberwill help you with your infections.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

Thanks

Edited by BHowett, 06 July 2008 - 09:48 PM.