Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unknown grinding sound coming from computer

• Please log in to reply

Junmar74

Junmar74

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My PC is one month old. About a week ago, i started noticing a grinding sound during the first boot-up for the day. The grinding sound is intermittent. It repeats 2-4 times for a second or two, them disappears. If you restart or reboot, the grinding sound no longer happens. It only happens when the PC has been off overnight. I have opened my casing, removed everything that has a moving part in it such as the chassis fan, video card, hard drive and optical drive. It seems to be coming from the CPU fan, or so I thought. I bought a new CPU fan (replaced the generic with an upgrade), but the grinding sound is still there during the first boot-up. The only other component that has a moving part on it is the PSU. What could be causing this sound? It is really annoying. Im leaning toward the PSU as the culprit but not sure.

Has anyone come up with this problem? Please Help

My specs:

Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Mobo
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0 Ghz
Gigabyte G-Power Lite CPU cooling fan
2 x 1 Gb Kingston DDR2 RAM
Sony Optiarc DVD+-RW
Samsung 160 Gb HDD
Inno3D GeForce 7300GT DDR2 256Mb
Generic 500W ATX PSU that came with the casing
Silverstone FN 122 cooling fan

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I know you want to fix it, but with it only being 1 month old, I would take it back to the manufacturer. You might not be able to do that since you opened the case and also did an upgrade.

Could also be the hard drive. You can put the drive thru its paces by using the manufacturers diagnostics found HERE