Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scripting errors firefox and computer running slow

• Please log in to reply

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi,

My computer runs pretty slow at times. I have noticed that my firefox runs really slow at times. I get a scripting error message, that asks if I want to stop running the script. Also for some reason my google earth is really slow too. I have gone through all the malware steps in the tutorial, posted a hijack this with nothing that was remarkable.

Do I need to reinstall Java?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Now I get a windows message from the tray below stating there is too little virtual memory to run and something about pagin files. I have 711 MB for these processes....

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello Lisa Huffman

You need to change your virtual memory. Open computer management (click start >> control panel >> administrative tools). In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then select Properties. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. Under Virtual memory, click change. In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type new paging file sizes in the Initial Size (MB) and Maximum Size (MB) boxes, and then click Set. Click OK. Restart computer.

Regards,

Edited by mirjel, 06 July 2008 - 11:19 AM.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I actually found the virtual memory by going under control panel, system, advanced tab, then virtual memory as I couldn't find it under the admin tools.

I have 672Mb and 1344Mb for the file sizes. What should I put in there instead?

Thanks for the help!

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
How mach space avaiable you have on hdd.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but where should I look for the amt of disc space on my hard drive. I can check under system and device manager, but am a little unsure where to go from there. Also should I put that value in box boxes?

Thanks!
:)

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Under control panel, system, advanced tab, performance >> setting, advanced, virtual memory >> change you see space avaiable.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay, I put 67917Mb in BOTH boxes, but when I restarted it, it came back to saying 672Mb and 1344Mb.

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Whoops, I forgot to hit the set button. I set both boxes to 60000 and rebooted. I just tried my google earth, but it is still painfully slow. Do you have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello Lisa Huffman,

In Google Earth disable atmosphere in view menu and update driver for your video card.

Also :

Defragment your hard drive >> Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Defragmenter. To defragment the selected drive or drives, click the Defragment button.

If you're using Windows Vista, you can use ReadyBoost to speed up your system. A new concept in adding memory to a system, it allows you to use non-volatile flash memory—like a USB flash drive or a memory card—to improve performance without having to add additional memory. Learn more.

Use Disk Cleanup >> Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

Detect and repair disk errors >> Close all open files >> run scandisk

Update your drivers for CPU, memory, video card and sound card, etc. Download the driver updates from the manufacturer's web site.

The How-To Geek weblog suggests turning off network folder and printer searching in Explorer's folder options. Just open Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options and click on the View tab. At the top of the File and Folders list, uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers" and click OK. If the networking issue was your Explorer slow-down culprit, you should notice a significantly faster startup next time you open up My Computer.

Internet Explorer users: In "Temporary Internet Files", delete cookies, and delete files. Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options. On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK.

In your "Windows" folder, manually delete files in the "Temp" folder.

Check your Hard Disk >> Click Start, and then click My Computer. In the My Computer window, right-click the hard disk you want to search for bad sectors, and then click Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab. Click the Check Now button. In the Check Disk dialog box, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Always create a restore point before uninstalling software, even better before you start any step.

Regards,

Edited by Rorschach112, 07 July 2008 - 07:01 AM.
Removed link to useless program. Don't post malware advice.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Whoops, I forgot to hit the set button. I set both boxes to 60000 and rebooted. I just tried my google earth, but it is still painfully slow. Do you have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Wow, that is excessive. :)

The number should be determined from the amount of RAM
you have available. To determine how much you have in a quick way,

Right-click "MyComputer", choose properties.
On the general tab (default page), under "Computer",
it should be listed how much RAM you have.

The (old) thump of rule, is to set the page-file to RAM X 1.5.
If you only have one partition, setting minimum and max to
the same number, usually yields the best results.

For further info on how to set your page-file, you could read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482

Regards Abydos

Lisa Huffman

Lisa Huffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I actually have windows xp. I am still having paging memory errors and I have set both boxes at 672. I have had these virtual memory errors pretty consistently. I am also getting scripting errors in firefox.