Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp laptop slow!?

• Please log in to reply

snipes040

snipes040

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok so I have had this hp l2000 laptop for a year now and it was really fast. But lately it's been very slow...I have checked it for viruses and spyware and have also defraged the hdd but it doesn't seem to do anything...here are my specs:

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-40
version x86 Family 15 Model 36 Stepping 2
current speed 2190 MHz
cache size 1024 KB

memory
Maximum capacity 4.00 GB
Installed memory 1.00 GB
Memory Slot 1 512.00 MB
Memory Slot 2 512.00 MB

used: 29.99 GB
free: 63.16 GB
Would anybody be able to help me? Is there any way of speeding it up other then buying more RAM?

Thanks

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
try running cleanup
then defragment your harddrive
run chkdsk/r as well
and run a cleaner
heres clean-up

http://www.stevengou...o...9&Itemid=70

start/run/dfrg.msc/click ok

do a chkdsk /r

Start/run/ chkdsk /r /click ok

notice the space between the k and the /

At the command prompt type the letter y
press enter
chkdsk cannot run at this time...another volume is using it
restart your computer....
do not disturb this

Edited by Mr Freeze, 06 July 2008 - 09:13 AM.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok so I tried all of that but it is still really slow for some reason..? It takes forever to start up and also takes forever to load programs and such.Anymore ideas? this help is greatly appreciated thanks!!

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Do you still have the system set as it came when you first bought it? Did it come with software pre-installed such as anti-virus software, HP updaters and other 'bloatware'? If so, I found that they are usually the culprit of boxed PC's (HP, Gateway, Dell) slowing down. Usually the antivirus software is so out of date that there are plenty of updates for the program itself. I would suggest removing most of the bloatware that came with your laptop and replace the anti-virus program with something a little better such as AVG 8 free edition (if you don't feel like paying for it).

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Check Selective Mode and click the "startup" tab. Uncheck everything which is not essential. Leave only antimalware programs (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: In Add/Remove programs, in Control Panel, uninstall all unnecessary toolbars such as Yahoo, google and others. Latter on you can download them again.

3: If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed as a windows update, uninstall it in add/remove programs in control panel. This will roll you back to internet explorer 6. Latter on you can download it again as a Windows Update.

4: Go to Task Manager and report processes that seem to be loading the computer. Please ignore Idle Processes.

5: Download HD Tune and under Benchmarking run a complete performance test. Please report Average data transfer for the entire test.

6: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Right click the Primary IDE channel and choose to uninstall it. Reboot and let Windows reload the driver. Repeat the procedure with Secondary IDE channel.

7: Following step no. 2 run HD Tune again and report the results as you did in step no. 1.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
so in my task manager the programs that are running at the biggest capacity are as follows: firefox.exe 57,756K, TeaTimer.exe 26,588, Explorer.exe 19028, vsmon.exe 23,348K, svchost.exe 36,388K

that what is shown in my processes in my task manager... i have no idea if this helps you but here is my hd tune benchmark test as well.

my average data transfer rate came out to 24.6MB/sec. also my access time is 17.0ms, my burst rate is 69.5MB/sec. and CPU usage is 9.2% I hope this helps ........

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I looked for is cpu usage and not memory usage. Please open task manager to full page and you will see CPU usage.

Please disconnect from the internet by switching off your wireless (or pull out the cable if you use ethernet connection). Disable TeaTimer and ZoneAlarm and see how the computer behaves.

Hd Tune speed is low but acceptable. I guess that there are running processes that keeps your computer's resources busy enough to slow data transfer.

Have you performed the other tasks that I suggested in my previous post?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you could also defragment your harddrive
open your run box and type this in
dfrg.msc

Start/run/ dfrg.msc /click ok

next press defragment
and wait till its finished

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok so i did EVERYTHING that you told me and my hd tune came out to 24.6MB and my CPU usage when I shutdown zonealarm and teatimer and disconnected from the internet switched from 0% to 2%.......

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What is bottom line? Is the computer running faster after all you did?

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
um well no not much faster but recently I just wiped my whole drive and I am starting from scratch. So now it is faster. Um i have one question for you though.....What is the TeaTimer? do i need that or do you know

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
TeaTimer is the real-time protection of Spybot Search and Destroy. During Spybot installation you are give an option to install this option is not. My recommendation for most users is not to install it. The reason is that every change that you make in the computer will cause TeaTimer to send you a number of confirmation requests. Most people do not understand what to do with this and just get confused. Another reason is that it use quite a lot of computer resources.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok well thank you very much for you help it is greatly appreciated!