Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error message when trying to install firefox 2 again,also firefox 3 in

• Please log in to reply

justinhess

justinhess

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
having problems with firefox.3 wont even open for me so i tried to re install that,but when i go to run it,it gives me a message saying 'you must reboot your computer to complete a previous update' which i have done a few times(reboot that is)and it gives me the same stupid message each time!

i tried going back to using firefox 2 but when i go to run that installation it gets to a certain point and gives me this error message

"error opening file for writing: C Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/AccessibleMarshal.dll

Click retry to try again or Cancel to stop the installation"

Clicking retry does nothing...what is going on here?i am missin my firefox as opera and ie reaaaaaally suck in comparison~!plus i really need all my bookmarks that i cant access in my firefox browser now.thanks!

Advertisements

justinhess

justinhess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
when i go into program files and then into the mozilla main folder...the 'uninstall ' folder there has three icons one says 'helper' and looks like a box with a blue top,i double click on that and it gives me this message 'windows cannot access this..etc'

the second icon is a text document that is just blank when i open it

the third icon is uninstall.bak but i i am unable to open it with any of my programs and when i click the 'find theproper program online' option it does nothing

and when i just right click on the whole darn ff/mozilla folder to try and delete it like that,it starts to do it but quickly gives me an error message 'cant delete accessablemarshall.dll:access is denied.make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use'

-to note,this is the same file...the accessablemarshall.dll file...that comes up as an error when i try to run the new ff and reinstall it...

whats going on here?

thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See if you can't recover your bookmarks first from ~/.mozilla/firefox/(profile)/bookmarks.html. If not found there, search for bookmarks.html and copy them to a folder of your choice. Then go to the Add and Remove Program Utility in Control Panel and remove all instances of Firefox. You may have to go to c:/Program Files/ and delete all instances of the Firefox folder. Then try downloading and installing FF 3 if that's the one you want to use.

For you recovering your bookmarks firs, you might read: Lost bookmarks

Ron

justinhess

justinhess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
where do i type the ~/.mozilla/firefox/(profile)/bookmarks.html in?

i do have my bookmarks saved on my desktop as i searched for the bookmarks.html and found them before

the problem is that firefox is not in the 'add or remove programs' section,and when i go into the program section like u recomend the uninstall folder isnt usable somehow and deleting the whole folder at once doesnt work for reasons mentioned in above posts.the one file isnt deleting and cancels it for some reason.the accessiblemarshall thang.

thanks

justinhess

justinhess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i still havent been able to fix this...any advice?