Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

directx version: not found

• Please log in to reply

cloe_sora

cloe_sora

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can i put this one here?

I'm running an application called Dream Aquarium but I'm having graphical issues. My OS is XP pro SP2
Their tech support advised me to update my video card driver and update my directx (already version 9.0c prior update)
drivers updating goes fine
however i encounter an internal error message while updating directx (with directx_jun2008_redist - full).. it told me to check dxerror.log.
here is what it says

[07/04/08 08:24:36] module: dxupdate(May 30 2008), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2046, function: ExecuteInf

Failed API: SetupInstallFromInfSection()
Error: (995) - The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

Unable to install C:\WINDOWS.0\system32\DirectX\DX27.tmp\d3dx9_24_x86.inf:[x86_Install]. The file may be damaged.

dxdiag however report no problem

To solve this problem i have read tech supports that suggest to manually uninstall directx via deletion of directx folder in the registry...running regedit ... then reboot.. however this didn't revert my directx to ver 8.1 as what the guide said... and instead i still have the same 9.0c version files however running dxdiag tells me that "directx version: not found" . I try to reinstall/update my directx using the same directx_jun2008_redist.. but an internal error once again appear. This time dxerror reported

[07/06/08 06:37:14] module: dxupdate(May 30 2008), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 189, function: GetDXVersion

Failed API: RegQueryValueEx()
Error: (2) - The system cannot find the file specified.

Current DirectX may be a older version which does not have the version value in the registry.

--------------------
[07/06/08 06:37:14] module: dxupdate(May 30 2008), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 4751, function: DirectXUpdateGetSetupInformation

GetDXVersion() failed.

--------------------
[07/06/08 06:37:14] module: dsetup32(May 30 2008), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[07/06/08 06:37:14] module: dsetup32(May 30 2008), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

Now I can't reinstall DX 9.0c completely. I try reinstalling ver 8.01 but it is still 9.0c files with unrecognizable version...
though with 9.0c files i still can't play games the required the 9.0c version like battlefield2 and galactic civiliztion 2
however i can play games like Age of mythology and baldur's gates that requires older dx version...

I think i srewed my dx and i really need help sad.gif ... thanks in advance smile.gif

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you gone to http://microsoft.com/directx and downloaded the latest version?