Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I screwed up. Badly

• Please log in to reply

Connor D

Connor D

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
OK, My brother filled his computer with malware, so I decided to install ubuntu on his 2nd partition while I fixed the windows installation. When I installed ubuntu I accidentally selected 'Guided - Use Whole Disk', thus wiping all partitions, including windows, and the recovery partition and installing ubuntu. For some odd reason he doesn't like ubuntu, and I feel bad, so, I know it's impossible to recover his windows, but is it possible to LEGALLY install an OEM version of windows? Would I use the product key on his COA?

The computer is a store bought acer which had XP Media Center pre-installed.

Help please?

Thanks in advance.
Connor

+++++EDIT+++++

May I also point out he doesn't have an XP disk, I mean to buy one from somewhere, and use that.

Edited by Connor D, 06 July 2008 - 11:42 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Connor D...

For about $20.00, you can buy the Recovery Set for your brother's Acer. This would represent a considerable savings over buying an OEM version of Windows and would put the machine back to the way it was when it was first purchased. You'll need the Serial Number or the SNID number from the sticker on the bottom (or back) of the machine.

Acer Recovery CD

wannabe1

Connor D

Connor D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
You may have saved me, thanks! Only one thing - can I get it here in the UK too?

Connor

Connor D

Connor D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
When I enter his SNID or S/N it says it does not exist or is invalid???

Is it because it is an American service? Or do I have to do it on his computer?

Connor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm trying to find the European counterpart for that page, but between the site being terribly slow and Acer's knack for hiding such information, I haven't found it as yet.

You may have to call them to get the CD in your part of the world. 0870 853 1000

I'll keep looking and post back if I find a page similar to the one I gave you for the North American site.

Connor D

Connor D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have also searched for the UK/European Page, with no luck.

I shall check my local computer shop for an OEM so I know I can get one if I fail to get this acer disc.

Thanks a lot,
Connor