Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help w/repair for malware of XP logging on and logging off plea

• Please log in to reply

natureboy

natureboy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
First, thanks for all the work everyone did to solve this problem. My problem in doing the repair is that I do not have a Windows XP (home) CD-ROM. My PC was shipped already loaded. I downloaded the "Windows XP setup floppy disc" mentioned, but I am not getting the "setup screen". I read that the file contains multiple parts, do I need to unpack them before burning the CD to try and recover the damaged computer? The file is WinXP_En_Hom_BF or is there a better way to get the CD-ROM I need? I could not find the download for it at microsoft. The manufacturer of my computer wants $18.00 plus $10.00 in shipping to get it in -10 days. Please advise. By the way the malware I removed with spybot was titled "spyware from [bleep]". I guess somebody has a sense of humor about this... Thank you people so much for helping people like me!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello natureboy...

The Microsoft floppy disk set does not lend itself well to being used on a cd.

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on.

ISO Recorder, when installed, will add "Copy Image to CD" to the right click context menu. Burning RC.iso will require 1 CD-R disk and it must be burned as an ISO image to work properly. Right click on the downloaded RC.iso file and choose the "Copy Image to CD" option to start the burning application. You can burn the disk using the default settings.

Boot to this CD and you should be able to access Recovery Console. You will not be able to install Windows or do a repair installation as the files required for that are not contained on the disk.....it contains only Recovery Console.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would highly recommend that you pay a visit to our Malware Forum. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up to 70% of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic if you post in the Malware Forum...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1