Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

video card not seen in device manager windows xp

• Please log in to reply

mattking1965

mattking1965

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have a problem with a Geforce 2 MX400 video card. For some reason Windows XP does not see it in Device Manager- it is using thye VGASafe driver. I have tried downloading the correct driver from the Nvidia website but when I try to install it, it says no suitable hardwrae found. THis problem has occurred after I did a windows repair ( I think) but only really came to light when my son tried to run World of Warcraft and it siad it could not find a suitable display device. I have tried booting in Safe mode, system restore, rebooting to last known good config. I have deleted all nvidia software I can find but assume I need to delete drivers from system32 folder to fix this. Anyone out there know if this is the right way to go, which drivers to delete or another suggestion please??

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Download and install the chipset drivers. Not the graphics adaptor, the chipset drivers.
If in doubt, take the side of the case off and look for one of the following names typically in a big black box towards the bottom right of the board: Intel, VIA, Nforce/NVidia, SIS, Ali, ATI.

Failing this, go to the website of the people who made the board and download the drivers from there.

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 July 2008 - 02:44 PM.

mattking1965

mattking1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Neil, thanks for the reply- do you mean the motherboard chopset drivers or the video card chipeset drivers?

Matt

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Motherboard chipset.

mattking1965

mattking1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help. Tried reloading the VGA driver- still no good. Finally weny into Device Manager and uninstall some of the motherboard componects and did a scan for new hardware. It then found the correct drivers and BINGO! all now working thanx!