Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LCD monitor interfere with AM radio

• Please log in to reply

Japstar

Japstar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey

Can someone give me some advice on this problem:

I bought a new 22"LCD monitor and put in my room. When my parents have the AM radio on in the other room, and my monitor is on, a high pitched noise can be heard on the radio.

When i turn the monitor off, the noise immeadeately ceases. The high pitched noise can be heard on all frequencies of AM band.

Is there any type of filter that i can buy or do to fix this problem?

Japstar

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I take it your monitor's power cord and video cable do not come with built in RFI filters? They do sell RFI filters and, if your video cable doesn't have one, there are ones you can buy with them built in. For the power cord, there are several ways to RFI proof it. There are large RFI toroids you could wrap the ac cord around and there are some RFI iso-transformers. First you need to determine if the RFI is being radiated from either or both cables or from the monitor itself.

AM is open to just too much interference. Maybe see if you can place the AM radio on a separate power circuit and it cuts the interference. If so, it's coming through the power lines. If not, try orientating the AM radio and its internal antenna to see if RFI increase/decreases with certain orientations. If it does, then it is being radiated by either the cables or directly from the monitor itself.

Not sure it would be worth the effort of trying a different horizontal scan rate. Maybe a large sheet of aluminum may help you pinpoint the source if it is used as a shield. Once the actual source is found, you'll know if you need to buy a RFI filter or new video cable with filter or not. Of course, if the RFI is being radiated directly from the monitor itself, it will be hard to filter.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 07 July 2008 - 02:25 AM.

Japstar

Japstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Whilst i was trying the aluminium thing, i moved the AM radio a certain distance and the high pitch noise has subsidised. So i guess that the radio was so close to the screen that it was picking up the screen.

Thanks for your help

Japstar

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. I was really hoping that moving the radio would work. Glad you found the solution.

Ron