Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

trouble with ftp

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I am doing some work for friends on their website, to update it, because i have made and published a few of them using frontpage 2003. So they have put me in touch with their host and they have given me the passwords and usernames for ftp access. I had previously uploaded a copy of this site to one of my own accounts just to see it up and running, but now that have it ready to publish on the actual server, I am having trouble. There is already a website at the location, so there should be files on the server. However, the first username i was given wouldnt log me on, so i was given a second username. This username allows me to log on for ftp access, but all it shows is a hidden file which is ".ftpquota" and and empty folder called "incoming". So it connects but when i try to publish, i get this error "553-Can't open that file: Permission denied 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory". I have tried connecting with file zilla, FireFTP and frontpage, but all 3 give me a similar error, tried all the different host addresses i could think of, in all the different modes, and... I just cannot find out where I am going wrong. I have tried to get the host to check it and tell me where I have gone wrong, because I am using the details he provided me exactly, but 3 weeks later and no reply. Well i hope this makes sense and someone knows where i am going wrong.

Thanks in advance

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The "".ftpquota" and and empty folder called "incoming"" part is because they gave you the access to just that part of the ftp that is not accessible by the public unless they have been given access privileges like you.

For FTP, you should be able to enter the URL or the FTP address owner was given originally with the correct username and password. I used the URL to my site without the ftp prefix with username and PW and have no problems logging in. The correct username and PW should have gotten you into the entire site's directory structure including the "Incoming" FTP folder. Either way it seems they aren't being straight with you.

Can you access the Control Panel online? If so, that username and password is normally the same as the FTP one.

Who is your hosting provider? What is the URL to the site you are working on?

I know you tried other FTP programs, but I lean towards using the free SmartFTP and have for years.

Edited by Major Payne, 08 July 2008 - 02:22 AM.