Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

installing new ram memory cards!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

scoobz1234

scoobz1234

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I bought off ebay some new ram cards because my computer has a really crappy ammount of memory in it as of now. when i shut down the computer, unplugged the computer, opened the case, grounded myself and removed the ram cards i installed the new ones and then closed it all up and restarted, well i got a blue screen of death with a bunch of numbers and crap saying the system failed to start up. i shut down again and when i restarted i got a whole bunch of beeps from the system and the fans run, but nothing else happens, no start up nothing. i tried running an old ram chip in the lowest slot with a new ram chip in the highest slot (2 slots of ram) and nothing happened wont start still beeps.

Installed : 1Gb ram X2 512mb PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM
Trying to Install: 4Gb x2 2Gb PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM
Computer: Emachines
model: T5224
Operating System: Vista

any ideas of how to install the new ram?

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Source: Crucial Site

Sorry to say but your computer only has 2 DDR2 RAM slot and each can only support 1GB of RAM and a maximum of 2GB of RAM in total, so you won't be able to use your new RAM on your computer.

Kamille

scoobz1234

scoobz1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the last time i read up on my computer the pc could take 3gb total, and would take what it could from the second 2gb ram chip?

EDIT: NVM you were right, so, am i able to put in a new Motherboard into this pc? and IF so what do you recommend?

Edited by scoobz1234, 07 July 2008 - 09:54 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

the last time i read up on my computer the pc could take 3gb total, and would take what it could from the second 2gb ram chip?

Do you remember where you got that from?

scoobz1234

scoobz1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
PC: Best buy
Ram chips EBAY APIDA company.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Here are some more sources that say the eMachine T5224 can only take a maximum of 2GB or RAM.

Memory Stock

PC Memory Store

If you want to confirm, try installing one of the 2GB of RAM only, if it doesn't work, try the other 2GB of RAM (only use one stick at a time).

scoobz1234

scoobz1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i understand that the computer will only run 2gb 1gb stick in each slot, i was wrong, thanks, im trying to figure out whats a good motherboard to replace my current with.