Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reallyx3 slow laptop :(

• Please log in to reply

FrizzKid

FrizzKid

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I'm posting this for my roommate...she's been having problems with her laptop for a while now, but just recently things have gotten really bad.

Let me give you some info about her computer habits and the laptop

- The laptop is quite new, only a year old..

- My roommate NEVER scan her computer for viruses and malwares. (I don't know how she's gotten away from being infected)

- She never had a problem with slow computer before, until about 3 months ago she had a shop re-installed Windows for her, ever since then the computer speed have been declining constantly. (I suspect that the shop somehow took her RAM (is it possible?) because I remembered that her RAM was 512MB when she bought it, but now it has decreased to only 256MB)

- A couple of days ago, her computer suffered from STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} problem. She asked me to re-install Windows for her, but as soon as I put the CD in... the computer magically turned to its' old slow self again...

- I did a PCPitstop Overdrive scan of her computer (it took an hour!!!) ..but there seems to be nothing wrong with her computer, just a few maintenance problems.. so if you could have a look >> Here

Any advice or suggestions as to what might be the cause of the problem would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
FK

P.S. Just to inform you that I've posted the same topic at Whatthetech.com due to the emergency of this problem. If I have gotten a rely from either one of the site, I will tell you immediately.

Edited by FrizzKid, 07 July 2008 - 09:52 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
all those red x's at the results page means there is a problem there...that was in every category ...
as for...

(I don't know how she's gotten away from being infected)

I bet she is ...

stonecold07

stonecold07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
1 of 3 things is possible possible with the ram question. the shop could have stolen some ram. but more likely someone changed the value assigned to video. check ram amount in bios. 2nd thing is a bank of memory could have went bad. as far as the red x's from pc pitstop most of those are from not updating driver files often(not a big issue). the others are general maintenance and no reason for alarm.

Edited by stonecold07, 07 July 2008 - 08:32 PM.

FrizzKid

FrizzKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

My roommate tried fixing the problems from the result page..and said that the computer appeared to be slightly faster....

(I don't know how she's gotten away from being infected)

I bet she is ...

PCPitstop scan said that it did not detect any kind of virus infection from the laptop... do you think that it's possible anyway?

As for the ram problem, I checked in BIOS and it said 256MB. How can I check if a bank memory have gone bad?

Best Regards,
F

Edited by FrizzKid, 08 July 2008 - 01:28 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get memtest 86+ here ...this will test your memory...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours.......then its probably good and we can try other things..
it will run until you press the escape key
the how to is here..
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

FrizzKid

FrizzKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you..

Will follow through and let u know asap :)