Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HELP! New build and huge Windows XP problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having so much trouble with a newly-built PC.

MSI K9N Neo V3 Motherboard
AMD AM2 Athlon 64 X2 Processor
Maxtor DiamondMax 21 250GB Hard Drive
ASUS 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Graphics Card
Kingston KVR800D2N5K2 2GB RAM
450W PSU

Please bear with me, this will take a while....

I built the PC and installed a brand new Windows XP Home fine. Everything was working apart from 2 USB drives on the front of the case.

After a couple of days of installing everything and updating Windows, Windows crashed. It wasn't at a particular moment - I had been installing all day. Everything crashed including the keyboard and mouse. When I rebooted, Windows no longer loaded, but stuck on the loading bar screen forever. Booting in Safe Mode stopped at mup.sys.

I removed all USBs and PCI cards and did everything Google could tell me but I couldn't get it to boot. I ran chkdsk /p and found one or more errors. I ran chksdk /r and it stalled at 64% for 5 hours, so I quit. I repaired Windows from the Windows XP CD and managed to get back into Windows.

I updated Windows again with SP2/SP3 etc and carried on installing fonts and software. Front USB drives were still not working, all drivers were up to date and there were no conflicts. One piece of software required restarting Windows. When restarting, Windows no longer loaded ever again.

Ran chkdsk /p again and it found no errors. Chkdsk /r went to 100% no problems. Windows would still not load. Repaired windows again. This time I got a blue screen of death halfway through the install.

Decided to re-format the hard drive and reinstall windows.

At this point the PC is stripped down to it's vital components. Tried re-formatting, re-assigning partitions and reinstalling three times. First time - loads all files from CD, reboots and hangs at loading screen. Second time - Got past loading screen but gave a blue screen straight away. Third time - as first.

I have tried everything - memtest86, trying one RAM at a time, changing all BIOS settings I possibly can.

Does anybody else have any other ideas? I am going out of my mind!

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

This does sound strange. Two things come to mind:
  • The Power Supply may be not enough, or faulty, to where it's causing problems but still have enough power to get the system going half the time. What make/model is it?
  • The Windows XP disc is a scratched or illegit version - please confirm you have a proper XP disc and COA, and the disc is not scratched.