Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call Of Duty U.O. Restarts My Computer

• Please log in to reply

nddl05

nddl05

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all. I looked through the CoD threads but couldn't find anything that worked for me.

I was playing on a lord of the rings multiplayer map awhile ago when my computer restarted itself. When it booted back up it said there was a device driver error, but couldn't tell me how to solve the problem. Now whenever I try to play multiplayer the computer restarts itself (I found one map that let me play a full round, however). Single player works fine, and I haven't had any problems with any of my other games.

I tried uninstalling CoD and U.O. and re-installed them, installed patches 1.5, 1.51, and 1.51b, and ran pbweb.exe from the pb folder. That didn't solve the problem.

I run windows xp and have an ABIT R9600 graphics card if that helps.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks again

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
right click my computer, properties. click on advanced. under the section "start up and recovery" click on settings. under section called system failure deselect "autmatically restart".

make sure you are running the latest drive for your ati card. download the driver to your hard drive. then go to add remove programs and uninstall the ati drivers from there. reboot, cancel the drive install if it prompts for drivers. run the ati driver install that you downloaded.

now try playing cod:uo. if it errors out now with a true blue screen please write down the stop code and the file it occured one.

also you might use some canned air to clean out the fan on the grapphics card.

I run a cod:uo server with lots of custom maps. some of those maps are pretty bad in their textures and cause problems with my 9600xt card occasioinally because they overload the video memory buffer.

try this out and let me kwow what the results are.

Starjax

GFix

GFix

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey I've been having exactly the same problem so I followed what you said to do but I still have the same problem I have an
MSI MS-Starforce Geforce4 MX 440 (NVIDIA)

This is what it said on the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF8800010, 0x00000000)
*** 3wlYz90- Address F8800010 base at F88CE000, Datestamp 424affda

any Idea what the problem is?

Edited by GFix, 24 May 2005 - 08:57 AM.

Surfdude

Surfdude

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah tryed what you said but it didn't work...in the end i wiped my hardrive, same message as GFix had

Surf

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try running the driver cleaner from http://drivercleaner.net/.

8e errors refer to a corrupted driver, normally video.

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for the late response. I went through all the steps you suggested. I was able to play for a few minutes, thought maybe it was fixed, but then the computer shut down again. It went to a solid blue screen - no errors or writing of any kind.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
was os are you on?

sounds like maybe you have a hw issue somewhere. perhaps you can borrow someone else's video card for a while.

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I believe the problem is a conflict between the ati software/driver and punkbuster in call of duty. I found a few sites where people had problems with punkbuster, and installed an older driver which fixed the problem (I think they suggested catalyst 4.9 - which I couldn't find on the ati site). I tried a few maps without punkbuster and had no problems. The first punkbuster map I tried restarted my computer. I never changed my driver since I got my game, however, so I'm not sure how the problem developed after working for so long. So maybe if I can find an older driver, and not a newer one...?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I haven't had any problems with the newest drivers. although I don't use the new interface they have. I prefer the normal old fashion windows interface.

there was a point with the drivers like 4.7 that had lots of issues and maybe 5.1.... anyway they have lots of stuff in store for the next few months. either it will get addressed or not.... by then cod2 should be out... hopefully.

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I haven't been able to fix the problem yet. I downloaded the BF2 demo and tried playing that, and my computer restarted with that as well.

I thought I would try to update my drivers once more - but had a few Qs to make sure I do it correctly.

As I said in my first post I use XP pro have an ATI Radeon 9600 series. In DXDIAG my main driver is listed as ati2dvag.dll (not sure if that info is needed).

In my ADD/REMOVE programs window I have:
-ATI Software uninstall utility
-ATI Control Panel
-ATI Display Driver
-NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers (I guess thats from before I updated my video card awhile back)

Should I uninstall all of those items before rebooting and installing the new driver? Secondly, I'm not sure which item to download from the ati website. One download comes with Control Panel, the other with CATALYST Control Center. Does it matter which one I download and install? Here is the link for reference.

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

Sorry for the confusion, just want to make sure I'm not part of the problem when I update my driver. Thanks again for the help!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would not recomend the catylist control center. just go for the normal drive package.
ati just release the 5.8 driver set.

also uninstall the nvidia software. ati and nvidia don't like playing nice.

I would also recomend that you update your GART driver (system board, its the driver for the agp).

you could also run memtest (http://www.memtest86.com/) to test your memory to make sure that it isn't causing the problem

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
when I click on my ati display driver in the Add/Remove programs list, it asks me which driver I want to uninstall. The AGP is listed as my primary, and the PCI as my secondary (both Radeon 9600 series). Do I uninstall both? If so, do I then need to download and run two driver sets from ATI (one under the regular driver download, and another under the motherboard driver)?

I'm pretty new with this stuff, so thanks for the patience!

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
update

I tried again to update my driver. Same problem, though this time I was actually given an error at the blue screen, so hopefully this will get us somewhere. Here is what I got...

"*** STOP: 0X0000008E(0XC0000005, 0XF77DF01B, 0XA84505A0, 0X00000000)

*** 9d12MHZ - Address F77DF01B base at F77DD000, DateStamp 42eff12e

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete"

Is that anything useful that could point us in the right direction? I'll keep seeing if I can figure someting out.

Thank you!

edit: saw the driver clean from the post above...since I had 8E I will try that and see if anything happens

Edited by nddl05, 01 September 2005 - 09:21 PM.

nddl05

nddl05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just downloaded the cleaner and followed its instructions exactly. Similar error came up when I tried playing a punkbuster server

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, OXF783701B, 0XA85FO5A0, OXOOOOOOOO)

*** qfyH3WiT - Address F783701B base at F7835000, DateStamp 42eff12e

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, it may be a video driver problem. it could be another driver causing issues. 8e error is definately a driver issue.

uninstall the driver through add/remove programs. then user drivercleaner from http://drivercleaner.net/ to make sure both ati and nvidia drivers are removed. reboot after that.

you can try the ati drivers again, but I might suggest the omega drivers

if you still have problems after that start updating all of your drivers for the system board, sound, ect. if that still doesn't fix the issue I would see if you can try a different video card as it may be faulty.