Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build Won't Start!

• Please log in to reply

Kuuri

Kuuri

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This was my first time building a computer from scratch, obviously it wasnt one of my best ideas because now it wont start. I'll start from the beginning.

Ok, so I bought all necessary parts and installed them all aswell, the computer boots up and everything is going smoothly. I start to install Windows and half way through, the power supply shorts out. Small puff of smoke comes out of the case, smelled kinda like burnt rubber or something. Anyway, I checked the motherboard thoroughly and there were no burns of any kind on it. So I tried turning the machine back on. It worked for about 2 minutes and then turned off again. It did this several times.

I assumed the PSU was shot to [bleep] and sent it in for a replacement, same model and everything. I hook up that one and then when I pressed the power button, the lights connected to the power supply flash, the fans connected also start but stop almost immediately, there is a Processor fan that connects through the motherboard that turns on and turns back off. And there is also a little light on the motherboard itself that turns on. So this leads me to believe that the motherboard is not damaged and that the PSU company is just a piece of crap and I should just get another brand.

So I purchase an Antec 500w power supply. High Hopes. Same thing.... Things just flash on and flash off.. I made sure that everything was seated securely in the machine but with no change. Things power on for less than a second before turning off. It's obviously not a PSU issue as I've had multiple of those in it now.

The only thing I could think that could possibly be wrong is that maybe I connected something wrong after removing the first power supply, or the power button is no longer working properly. I have no idea at all.

Any advice would be a big help. If you'd like to know the parts specifically then ask.

Thanks

Advertisements

medic617

medic617

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Have you made sure that the MOBO is mounted properly on its mounts and not grounding itself to the case?

Kuuri

Kuuri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm sorry, I dont have the slightest Idea what MOBO is... probably proves why I shouldnt have tried to build this thing along.

But I posted on some other forums as well, and the advice given there helped me a lot and my computer works perfectly now. Thanks for taking time out to help me.

medic617

medic617

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Not a problem. MOBO = motherboard for future reference. What turned out to be the problem??

Kuuri

Kuuri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah, i see, I'll have to use that one in the future, thanks.

To be completely honest, I doubt I'll make any sense trying to explain this, but I'll try.

He told me to disconnect everything except for the MOBO to the powersupply. If it still does the same thing, then its the motherboard thats causing the problem. I did that and it worked fine. From there he told me to keep re-attaching parts and checking each time to see if one of them was the culprit. And when I finally got through all of them.... They all worked... Everything was connected the same way it had been before, but now it worked.

Maybe I missed something crucial the first run through or something? Or maybe there is a assembling hierarchy that I didnt know about at first and I did it all in the wrong order. I dont know if this answers your question or not.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no order of things when building.
Sometimes just reseating stuff makes it work properly.