Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bad infection, laptop won't boot!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ccie

ccie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi forum,

I got infected really bad by some unknown malware.

when i boot up my laptop and log in to XP, the desktop shows up briefly and then quickly all disappears leaving me a blank wallpaper, at the same time popping up an error message:

userinit.exe application error:
The instruction at "0x77dd778e" reference memory at "0x77dd778e". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program, or Cancel to debug.

here are the things I have done and tried so far:

I tried to boot up in the Safe Mode, but only a black background appears with Safe Mode on four corners and no desktop at all.

I then booted into the Safe Mode with DOS prompt, I ran AVG 7 virus scan, AVG spy-ware scan, Symantec anti-virus scan, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool, and still didn't catch anything major or fixed the problem.

Then I followed the steps in the Malware forum before I post the HijackThis log:
1. I ran the ATF temp file cleaner successfully.
2. when i tried to run mbam-setup.exe in the Dos window under Safe mode, it did not respond or proceed.
3. when I ran SUPERAntiSpyware.exe, I got the error:
windows installer: the system administrator has set the policies to prevent this installation
4. under the Dos safe mode, I don't get the network connectivity, so i couldn't get to run the Online - Panda Activescan as the guide suggests.
5. I wanted to generate a hijackthis log, and tried to run HJTInstall.exe to install in the Dos window under Safe mode, again it did not respond or proceed. so I can't even post a hijackthis log to start with.

what should I do now to find the malware and cure the problem?

thank you very much!

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Duplicate topic this one is closed.
Please do not make duplicate topics.