I got infected really bad by some unknown malware.
when i boot up my laptop and log in to XP, the desktop shows up briefly and then quickly all disappears leaving me a blank wallpaper, at the same time popping up an error message:
userinit.exe application error:
The instruction at "0x77dd778e" reference memory at "0x77dd778e". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program, or Cancel to debug.
here are the things I have done and tried so far:
I tried to boot up in the Safe Mode, but only a black background appears with Safe Mode on four corners and no desktop at all.
I then booted into the Safe Mode with DOS prompt, I ran AVG 7 virus scan, AVG spy-ware scan, Symantec anti-virus scan, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool, and still didn't catch anything major or fixed the problem.
Then I followed the steps in the Malware forum before I post the HijackThis log:
1. I ran the ATF temp file cleaner successfully.
2. when i tried to run mbam-setup.exe in the Dos window under Safe mode, it did not respond or proceed.
3. when I ran SUPERAntiSpyware.exe, I got the error:
windows installer: the system administrator has set the policies to prevent this installation
4. under the Dos safe mode, I don't get the network connectivity, so i couldn't get to run the Online - Panda Activescan as the guide suggests.
5. I wanted to generate a hijackthis log, and tried to run HJTInstall.exe to install in the Dos window under Safe mode, again it did not respond or proceed. so I can't even post a hijackthis log to start with.
what should I do now to find the malware and cure the problem?
thank you very much!