Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

usb/palm issues

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
windows XP media center sp3
palm centro

after syncing my palm once the usb ports stop working completely (they still receive power however)
until I restart my computer then they work fine again until I syn the palm and again they die.

I tried uninstalling the USB stack in device manager starting with the root hubs but explorer freezes and fails to uninstall anything. any ideas?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you been unmounting/stopping the USB device prior to removing it?

It is key that you click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray and stop the USB device before you disconnect it.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
no the palm disconnects itself 4 or 5 times throughout the syn process (you can hear the usb connect and disconnect sounds) but without disconnecting it at all it still doesn't work. I tried repair install, reinstalling chipset, BIOS flash/update, reinstalling all USB drivers and got nowhere I think I may have installed the wrong chipset to begin with or something cause no matter what I try I can't get anywhere with this thing. so I've waved the white flag and went for a reinstall of windows I'll let you know if that solves the issue, if not I guess it's a bad MOBO?

btw I just remembered I didn't put this but it's an HP laptop dv5000 serries

Edited by pr0n, 08 July 2008 - 04:09 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
It might be the connectors that aren't well or behaving dodgy.
It you're sure it's not the device that has a bad connector then it can certainly be the Motherboard.
If the PC is still under warranty they can probably replace it without much trouble.

Regards,
Olrik