Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a network problem?

• Please log in to reply

solley

solley

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Having a very frustrating problem, primarily with images, but spilling over to occasional "junk" text on websites, and also to downloads. Attached is what my machine comes up with for the image from today's woot.com. Almost all programs that I download say they are corrupted when I try to install.

Is this a network problem? Wireless router? Wireless card? Cable Modem? ISP? I've already gone thru the HJT process b/c I thought it might be a virus, but apparently not.

If not a network problem, what else could it be? Already did a fresh install of XP before the HJT process.

Any thoughts are appreciated...or any diagnostic suggestions....anything. The wife is about to kill me over this one. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Navigon_2100_Portable_3.5__GPS_with_Text_to_Speechax8Standard.jpg

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
This might very well be a networking problem.
Packets that get lost can cause this.

How is your network set up?
If you have a modem and a router try connecting your PC directly to the modem.
If it still gives the same problem then try phoning your ISP for troubleshooting regarding the modem.
IF your ISP is sure that it's not the modem nor them then it can still be your Network Interface Card (NIC).
If this is the case take a look if you can maybe borrow a friends NIC and see if you can get the images to get cleared up through that.

I hope this gives you a few things to try out.
Regards,
Olrik

solley

solley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

This might very well be a networking problem.
Packets that get lost can cause this.

How is your network set up?
If you have a modem and a router try connecting your PC directly to the modem.
If it still gives the same problem then try phoning your ISP for troubleshooting regarding the modem.
IF your ISP is sure that it's not the modem nor them then it can still be your Network Interface Card (NIC).
If this is the case take a look if you can maybe borrow a friends NIC and see if you can get the images to get cleared up through that.

I hope this gives you a few things to try out.
Regards,
Olrik

Thanks for the reply. I'll try these suggestions. I have a wireless router hooked to my cable modem. My XBOX360 and TiVo HD are connected via CAT5 cable, my other Series 2 TiVo and my desktop are connected wireless. I don't seem to have any problem with the XBOX or the TiVo's, so I'm guessing it's something wrong with my desktop wireless card. Can't really connect the desktop via cable because the router is several rooms away. Oddly, cycling power on the modem and router seem to make the problem better for a while...which doesn't really fit with the desktop wireless card diagnosis.

Any chance it's the wireless functionality on the router? Maybe the TiVo that is using wireless is better than my desktop for handling a faulty connection??

Is there any utility that I can download that might help diagnose the problem by showing lost packets or anything?

Thanks for the help.