Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replaced cpu and now have problems!

• Please log in to reply

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just replaced a dual core intel e6400 with a quad core q6600 and I am have major problems when trying to boot my system. When I try to boot I can see about half my screen and the other half has about for colums of lines that are vertically stacked that run from the bottum to the top and do not move. The lines are about an inch long and have about 1/4 of an inch of spacing in between them. The columns of lines are spaced about an inch apart from each other. I can enter into my bios, but when I try do boot or anything the computer just freezes on a black screen with those [bleep] lines on it.

Could anyone please tell me what is going on. If so could you tell me what I should do to fix this problem.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0120.jpg

Edited by baseballstud1547, 07 July 2008 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Perhaps you system spec's could weed out the problem. Did you check to see if the motherboard support's quad core processor's?

SRX660

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yes, my mobo is a p5n e sli, my system specs are as follows....
asus p5n e sli mobo
600 psu
q6600 intel processor
4 gb ddr2 ram
120 gb hd, 250 gb hd, 500 gb hd
2 lite on cd/dvd drives
8800 gts

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, the MB supports the quad processor, so i think the problem lies where the nvidia drivers thinks it has only 2 cores to use and 4 cores are being used. I would first try uninstalling the Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them or updating the drivers to the latest ones.

If the problem persists you may need to see if Nvidia will replace the video card.

SRX660

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I really think it is the motherboard because I tried what you suggested. I am just going to take it somewhere that has an extra graphics card and motherboard that I can test on my system to determine the problem. Once the problem is identified I will post the solution for future references.

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok the problem was the motherboard. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by baseballstud1547, 18 July 2008 - 07:40 AM.

baseballstud1547

baseballstud1547

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok so the place I took my computer to has no clue as to what the heck they are doing. The problem was not the motherboard at all! The problem was with the Graphics Card!!!!!