Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Restart Loop - Nothing Helps

• Please log in to reply

skittlzski

skittlzski

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have Windows XP SP2 and I don't know what happened, but it is in a restart loop. I first tried what the Microsoft Support KB instructed...that did not work. I tried a clean install...that did not work. I tried installing in a new folder...did not work.

Could it be something other than a missing or corrupt file?

I appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you get into safe mode by hitting the F8 key while the computer is booting up? If so then it is usually a drivers problem causing the auto reboot. Disable auto reboot in safe mode to see what blue screen error comes up.

If the computer has SP 2 installed you should see this window when you boot to safe mode.

http://www.microsoft...k-safe-mode.gif

use the arrow keys to go to "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". Then reboot the computer to see what the error message is. A check at the aumha website will help to tell you where your problem is.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

Second Option

Do you have your Windows XP CD?

If so, boot up with that and choose "R" at the first menu, that will get you into the recovery console, from there, at the prompt, type in "chkdsk /r" without the quotation marks.

Let check disk run, it may take some time, but when it's finished, type in "exit" and let the system reboot. Hopefully it will fix any system files that may have gotten corrupted.

Third Option

Go to http://www.knopper.n...x/index-en.html and get a Knoppix CD. It's free . If you have dial-up like me, it will take a very long time to download, but it really is worth it.
Knoppix is a bootable GNU/Linux operating system CD that runs entirely from the CD drive, without writing anything to your hard disk. It has excellent hardware detection so just about everything is set up automagically.
If you can boot from the CD and use it without a problem, then it is likely that the problem lies with your windows drivers.
If it still reboots automatically, then you might have a hardware or bios setting problem...if it does, you should be able to see at exactly what point it does reboot, so you can get a good idea of what is causing the problem.
This information will prove very valuable in hunting down this problem.

SRX660

skittlzski

skittlzski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I cannot start in safe mode.

I ran the chkdsk /r and that did not work.

The knoppix download website is too confusing...I dont understand how to download.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Probably the easist way now is to take the computer to a shop and have them fix it.

If you are interested, go to this website and click the accept button, then go to the bottom of the next page and click last iso there called Knoppix V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN iso. It is the english version of the bootable CD Knoppix iso. Save the file to a folder where you can burn a cd from it. Burn it to a CD and stick the cd in the computer that needs fixing. You can open the cdrom drive while the computer is booting up, right? You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS to have the first boot device as the cdrom drive. To do this keep hitting the delete key while the computer is booting up. Then use the arrow keys to move to the advanced menu. There ,again use the arrow keys to change the boot order to CD first, then hard drive. save the settings (F10)and reboot the computer with the Knoppix CD in the drive.

http://www.knopper.n...b/dist/knoppix/

http://www.petri.co....files_to_cd.htm

You will need a computer with a cd burner to do this.

SRX660

weebles

weebles

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer did not boot with the Knoopix cd.

skittlzski

skittlzski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My computer did not boot with the Knoopix cd.

Sorry, I responded under my sister-in-law's name.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You did change the boot order in the BIOS, right?

SRX660

skittlzski

skittlzski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes I did.