Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iSearch[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sloanhill

sloanhill

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, all you helpers out there!

I'm in a pickle. :) My husband and I just recently came to our new church (he's the pastor) and they'd been having problems with the computer (NOT computer literate people around here). I know a little, but only what I've learned over the years by trial and error, etc. So they asked me to see if I could figure out the problem.

It's iSearch. Ugh. ;) I've read enough online to make me thoroughly frustrated before I've even seen all the effects of it. I've gotten rid of the actual toolbar itself, and I installed Deepnet Explorer to run instead of MSIE, so that's helped some, but there are still aftereffects of this whole thing. The computer runs slowly, and there's this "desktop search" thing that won't go away - I can END TASK, but can't delete the folder it's in or anything else in the folder. I've tried to restart after fooling with msconfig, but this thing just re-checks itself, even after I've unchecked it.

The computer's only a year-ish old, so it's not ready to go the way of all computers yet. I've found a lot of information on getting rid of this thing, but there's so much available, and there's so much paranoia and hysteria that I'm just getting overloaded and really don't know who or what to trust, and really just need to start from scratch.

As I said, I know a little - a very little - but don't always understand all the language people who know what they're talking about can use, so you'll have to spell everything out for me. The simpler you can make it for me, the better. ;)

THANK YOU for any help you can give me. I appreciate you! :tazz:

-Stephanie in Pennsylvania

PS: Read somewhere about just reinstalling Windows - that I can do...is that a bad option? Would it actually help?

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Stephanie, and welcome to GeeksToGo! I promise you that I will use plain English, since I am not very good at GeekSpeak myself. :tazz:

The first thing I need you to do is to get me a HijackThis log, so I can take a look at what's going on!

Please go Here and download the newest version 1.99.1. Please be sure to save it to a permanent directory, such as C:\Prgram Files\HJT or in a separate folder you create in the My Documents folder.

After you save the program, double click on it to open it. Click the button that says "Do a system scan and save a logfile". After it scans, it will automatically open a log for you in Notepad. Highlight and copy *everything* in that logfile, and paste it here in a reply to this thread, by clicking the "Add Reply" button, then right click and paste the log. After you do that, I will take a look and see what's going on! ;)

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, Kat!

I will do all that as soon as possible - we have guests coming in for the weekend (I'm writing from my home computer right now) and I probably will not be able to spend any sort of quality time at the church computer until Monday (possibly Sunday afternoon). Just wanted to let you know so you didn't think I was ignoring your advice!

-steph

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
that's ok! I've subscribed to this thread, so I'll see anytime you make a reply!

Since you're going to be doing this, why don't you do a couple of things for me? Print this out or something so you can have it with you at the church! Run these tools for me before you get the HijackThis log, ok?? They may clean most of it out for us!

Please download the latest version of Ad-aware(Ad-aware SE 1.05) If you're using an older version (or don’t have AdAware yet), download Ad-aware SE Personal 1.05 and install it.

Before scanning with Ad-aware SE Free:
Run a FULL adaware scan using the following configuration below
  • Update
    • Select Check for updates.
    • Then Connect and download SE1R28 16.02.2005 .
  • Click Start
  • Select Perform Full System Scan and hit Next to let Ad-Aware scan your drives.
  • It will list malware files and registry keys. Click Next.
  • Under the Critical Objects tab, rightclick in the list, choose Select All, then Next.
  • It will ask for verification of checked items-. Choose OK.
  • Close Ad-Aware, Shut down and reboot your system.
Download and Install Spybot S&D, accepting the Default Settings
(Please ensure you have version 1.3 final.)
Home - The home of Spybot-S&D!: http://www.safer-networking.org/
Here is a nice Tutorial http://www.safer-net...p?page=tutorial
  • Go to Start > Programs >Spybot Search & Destroy and choose 'Spybot S&D'
  • Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
  • Click the button 'Search for Updates' and download and install the Updates.
  • Next click the button 'Check for Problems'
  • When Spybot is complete, it will be showing 'RED' entries BLACK entries and GREEN entries in the window
  • Make sure there is a check mark beside the RED entries ONLY.
  • Choose Fix Selected Problems and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.
  • REBOOT
Have a great weekend!!

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey, Kat - here's my HijackThis log! Thanks for your help!

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:40:34 PM, on 5/2/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchURL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: IE Update Class - {5B4AB8E2-6DC5-477A-B637-BF3C1A2E5993} - C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\sysupd.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Desktop Search] C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\desktop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ffis] C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\ffisearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [p72U36i] osu_ci.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX3200] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX3200" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX3200"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoLoaderp0to1IXWVJPJ] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\osu_ci.exe" /PC="CP.IST" /ShowLegalNote="nonbranded" /UninstallName="CtxPls"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE Calendar Checker .lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O18 - Filter: text/html - {950238FB-C706-4791-8674-4D429F85897E} - C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\mfiltis.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchURL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: IE Update Class - {5B4AB8E2-6DC5-477A-B637-BF3C1A2E5993} - C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\sysupd.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [p72U36i] osu_ci.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoLoaderp0to1IXWVJPJ] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\osu_ci.exe" /PC="CP.IST" /ShowLegalNote="nonbranded" /UninstallName="CtxPls"

O18 - Filter: text/html - {950238FB-C706-4791-8674-4D429F85897E} - C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\mfiltis.dll

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Reboot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please remove these entries from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel(if present):

iSearch
Please note any other programs that you dont recognize in that list in your next response

Please delete these folders using Windows Explorer(if present):

C:\WINDOWS\isrvs

After that, Reboot.

Then paste a fresh HJT log here in a reply!

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Molto grazie - many thanks - Kat! :tazz:

The only thing I noticed in Add/Remove that caused me some consternation was the Google toolbar for Internet Explorer - it wouldn't remove (I'm trying to get this machine down to the bare minimum). But as far as I can tell, it's not doing any harm, and they're not using IE anymore anyway. Your thoughts?

Also, what is your expert opinion on MS Service Pack 2? I've read and heard conflicting positions on it and am unsure what to think.

Anyway, here's my new HijackThis log:

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Scan saved at 12:57:01 PM, on 5/3/2005

Running processes:
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX3200] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX3200" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX3200"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE Calendar Checker .lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O23 - Service: EpsonBidirectionalService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
O23 - Service: EPSON Printer Status Agent2 (EPSONStatusAgent2) - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi again Stephanie!! For some reason, that iSearch is being stubborn and hasn't fully removed. I want to help you get rid of it, so it doesn't cause you problems in the future!

Click here to download Pocket Killbox by Option^Explicit. Extract it from the zip file then double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Place the following lines (complete paths) in bold in the "Full Path of File to Delete" box in Killbox, and click the red button with the white X on it after each. Keep track of any files it tells you either could not be found or could not be deleted, as you'll need those later:
C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\desktop.exe
C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\ffisearch.exe

For the files that it either couldn't find or couldn't delete, in the killbox again this time, put a mark next to "Delete on Reboot". Copy and paste each file into the file name box, then click the red button with the X after each. It will ask you if you want to reboot each time you click it, answer NO until after you've pasted the last file name, at which time you should answer Yes.

Open HJT again, and scan for a log. Place a check next to only the following, make sure all other programs are closed, and click "Fix"

Reboot into safe mode by continuously tapping the F8 key as the machine starts up, and choose to go into Safe Mode from the menu that pops up. Find the following folder if it's still there, and delete it, then reboot normally.

C:\Windows\isrvs

Reboot and post a fresh HJT log!

As far as the Google Toolbar goes, it's actually a great tool that we recommend to help stop PopUps. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Mozilla. I would just leave it installed.

I personally use SP2 now, as do most of the Staff members here, if that helps. There were a lot of bugs and issues with it when it was released, of course, but it is stable now. I wouldn't install it until you are completely cleaned up, though.

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, Kat - I noticed those couple entries myself; glad to know I'm not delusional!

The link you sent me to doesn't work, but I was able to download KillBox from bleepingcomputer. Just for your own future reference.

ANyway, will run it now and will repost with a new HJT log in a few minutes.

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay. KillBox couldn't find those files, so I chose to Delete on Reboot. First time, the computer froze (Task Manager wouldn't even come up). Rebooted again, no problem. Ran HijackThis and checked the entries, no problem. Rebooted in safe mode; that folder wasn't there. Rebooted back in normal mode, and the computer "froze" again; I decided to do something else for a bit to see if it was just slow in doing something and eventually got a window saying something needed to run McAfee ActiveShield is missing and I need to reinstall it. Hm.

Anyway, re-ran HJT and got the below...those two entries are still showing up! Grr!

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Scan saved at 12:05:07 PM, on 5/4/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for letting me know about the bad link. I'll get that updated right now, and I apologize for that!
Ok, let's get down and dirty with this little bugger! :tazz: Let's see what's lurking where I can't see it with HJT!

Download and unzip Silent Runners Run Slient Runners.vbs it will make a log post that in a reply

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, Kat! Hope you're having a good afternoon solving all sorts of malware problems! :tazz:

Here's the Silent Runners log:

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 36, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows XP
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"

Startup items buried in registry:
---------------------------------

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"Sonic RecordNow!" = (no data)
"MSMSGS" = ""C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background" [MS]
"MoneyAgent" = ""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"" [MS]

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"DwlClient" = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe" ["Dell"]
"Desktop Search" = "C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\desktop.exe" [file not found]
"ffis" = "C:\WINDOWS\isrvs\ffisearch.exe" [file not found]
"VSOCheckTask" = ""c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask" ["McAfee, Inc."]
"VirusScan Online" = ""c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"" ["McAfee, Inc."]
"StorageGuard" = ""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r" ["Sonic Solutions"]
"QuickTime Task" = ""C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime" ["Apple Computer, Inc."]
"PCMService" = ""C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"" ["CyberLink Corp."]
"MCUpdateExe" = "C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe" ["McAfee, Inc"]
"MCAgentExe" = "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe" ["McAfee, Inc"]
"IgfxTray" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe" ["Intel Corporation"]
"HotKeysCmds" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe" ["Intel Corporation"]
"EPSON Stylus CX3200" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX3200" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX3200"" ["SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION"]
"DVDSentry" = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe" ["Dell - Advanced Desktop Engineering"]
"dla" = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe" ["Sonic Solutions"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\
{306D6C21-C1B6-4629-986C-E59E1875B8AF}\(Default) = (no title provided)
\StubPath = ""C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe" "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msgsc.dll",ShowIconsUser" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
{06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}\(Default) = "AcroIEHlprObj Class" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx" [empty string]
{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}\(Default) = (no title provided)
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll" ["Safer Networking Limited"]
{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}\(Default) = "DriveLetterAccess" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll" ["Sonic Solutions"]
{AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7}\(Default) = "Google Toolbar Helper" [from CLSID]
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll" ["Google Inc."]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}" = "Display Panning CPL Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "deskpan.dll" [file not found]
"{88895560-9AA2-1069-930E-00AA0030EBC8}" = "HyperTerminal Icon Ext"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\hticons.dll" ["Hilgraeve, Inc."]
"{DEE12703-6333-4D4E-8F34-738C4DCC2E04}" = "RecordNow! SendToExt"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Sonic\RecordNow!\shlext.dll" ["Sonic Solutions"]
"{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}" = "DriveLetterAccess"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll" ["Sonic Solutions"]
"{F0CB00CD-5A07-4D91-97F5-A8C92CDA93E4}" = "Shell Extensions for RealOne Player"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpshellext.dll" ["RealNetworks"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
INFECTION WARNING! igfxcui\DLLName = "igfxsrvc.dll" ["Intel Corporation"]

Enabled Wallpaper and Active Desktop:
-------------------------------------

Active Desktop is disabled.

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\Documents and Settings\Sloan Hill Pastor\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp"

Startup items in "Sloan Hill Pastor" & "All Users" startup folders:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
"Digital Line Detect" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe" ["BVRP Software"]
"Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE Calendar Checker " -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe" ["Ulead Systems, Inc."]

Enabled Scheduled Tasks:
------------------------

"McAfee.com Update Check (D8FW0641-Owner)" -> launches: "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe /Schedule" ["McAfee, Inc"]
"McAfee.com Update Check (SLOANCHURCH-Brenda Painter)" -> launches: "C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe /Schedule" ["McAfee, Inc"]
"McAfee.com Update Check (SLOANCHURCH-Sloan Hill Pastor)" -> launches: "C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe /Schedule" ["McAfee, Inc"]

Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
-------------------------------

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000002\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\winrnr.dll" [MS]
000000000003\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
0000000000##\PackedCatalogItem (contains) DLL [Company Name], (at) ## range:
%SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll [MS], 01 - 03, 06 - 15
%SystemRoot%\system32\rsvpsp.dll [MS], 04 - 05

Toolbars, Explorer Bars, Extensions:
------------------------------------

Toolbars

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser\
"{2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}"
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "&Google"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll" ["Google Inc."]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\
"{BA52B914-B692-46C4-B683-905236F6F655}"
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "McAfee VirusScan"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll" ["McAfee, Inc."]

"{2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}"
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "&Google"

Explorer Bars

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\
{FE54FA40-D68C-11D2-98FA-00C0F0318AFE}\
-> {CLSID}\(Default) = "Real.com"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll" [MS]

Extensions (Tools menu items, main toolbar menu buttons)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}\
"MenuText" = "Sun Java Console"
"CLSIDExtension" = "{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll" [file not found]

{CD67F990-D8E9-11D2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE}\
"ButtonText" = "Real.com"

Running Services (Display Name, Service Name, Path {Service DLL}):
------------------------------------------------------------------

EPSON Printer Status Agent2, EPSONStatusAgent2, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe" ["SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION"]
EpsonBidirectionalService, EpsonBidirectionalService, "C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe" [null data]

----------
This report excludes default entries except where indicated.
To see *everywhere* the script checks and *everything* it finds,
launch it from a command prompt or a shortcut with the -all parameter.
----------

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ok let's go after that folder in Safe Mode using Killbox!! :tazz:

Reboot into SafeMode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as it is booting, and choose Safe Mode.

double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Place the following lines (complete paths) in bold in the "Full Path of File to Delete" box in Killbox, and click the red button with the white X on it after each. Keep track of any files it tells you either could not be found or could not be deleted, as you'll need those later:

C:\Windows\isrvs

For the files that it either couldn't find or couldn't delete, in the killbox again this time, put a mark next to "Delete on Reboot". Copy and paste each file into the file name box, then click the red button with the X after each. It will ask you if you want to reboot each time you click it, answer NO until after you've pasted the last file name, at which time you should answer Yes.

sloanhill

sloanhill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Did that - couldn't find the folder. When I told it I wanted to reboot, it said:

[FONT=Courier]PendingFileRenameOperations Registry Data has been removed by external process!

[FONT=Arial]Was it supposed to do that? What next? Ran HJT really quickly and those two entries are still there. :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Download LQ fix from here: http://users.pandora...atchy/LQfix.zip

Boot into Safe Mode by rebooting your computer and tapping f8 during the boot process. Select Safe Mode when it prompts you.

Unzip the file, and run LQFix.bat

reboot normally and Scan the computer here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/
Let it do a full run, than copy the log. Past it to a blank Notepad file and save it to post here.

Make a new reply with a fresh HJT log as well as the Ewido log!