Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of building new System need advice....

• Please log in to reply

Daitech

Daitech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well I've been doing a lot of research and from a previous thread I made it seems that I really am in need of a new System which is why I'm here. So, below is a compiled list of items that "Seem" like it would work great but since I don't have too much knowledge in these kinds of things, I'm hoping for you experts out there to help me out on what's better and more efficient than the one's given here.

So far, I'm trying to spend $700-800 MAX for this system and will be using it for intensive multitasking than gaming.

CPU $220

Motherboard $125

Case $50

Video Card $65

Hard Drive $75

So far this is my list. But the only thing I see missing is a Power Supply but I don't know which would be most beneficial and proficient in cost and operation of the item. So any PSU within the $700-800 would be great. I won't be intending to overclock.

Question/Advice/Comments

1.) Since I'm most likely going to be using Vista, OEM is needed but what are the differences of a 32-Bit and a 64-Bit and I'm more bent on getting the 64-Bit but if I do would it be compatible with the suggested list?

2.) Any good advice on great memory cards but within that budget?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Daitech, 08 July 2008 - 04:59 AM.

Advertisements

tylerscool

tylerscool

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
everything is good except for video card it sucks basically get a 4850,4870, nvidia 9800 gtx, or gx2 even the 8800 gtx but not that one
power supply this is a good one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817170017 im getting that it can handle anything you throw at it with pci express power its good i cant really see the motherboard but make sure it has at least 1 pc express x16 slot quad core is good but get the intel core duo and get the 3.0 ghz one its cheaper and better 2.4 is good but 3.0 is better even if it has 4 cores most programs dont support this and you do not get any better experience. hard drive is okay but should probely get a bigger one but its okay. you got 2 choice 32 bit will have slightly better compatibly and 64 bit a little less but more ram. Since your mother board supports 8gb of ram i recommend 64 bit as 64 bit can support 8gb of ram 32 bit only 4gb. case is okay but could be bigger. hope i helped

Edited by tylerscool, 08 July 2008 - 12:40 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Daitech,

I recommend a quality built PSU from Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, OCZ, etc...
I suggest getting this one Silverstone 500W or the Corsair 550W (you can also use the 450W unless you're adding more components, i.e. hard drives, dvd-drives) or even the Antec Earthwatts 500W.

For your questions:
1) 32-bit OS can only see ~2-3.5GB of RAM however a 64-bit OS will see anything larger (4GB or more).
32-bit OS has more driver support however not all manufacturers release 64-bit drivers so it would be a pain having a component that doesn't have a driver for it.

2) For memory, are you going with 2 or 4GB of RAM?

Kamille

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Daitech,

I recommend a quality built PSU from Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, OCZ, etc...
I suggest getting this one Silverstone 500W or the Corsair 550W (you can also use the 450W unless you're adding more components, i.e. hard drives, dvd-drives) or even the Antec Earthwatts 500W.

For your questions:
1) 32-bit OS can only see ~2-3.5GB of RAM however a 64-bit OS will see anything larger (4GB or more).
32-bit OS has more driver support however not all manufacturers release 64-bit drivers so it would be a pain having a component that doesn't have a driver for it.

Kamille

Hey there Kamille,

So I'm most likely going to be taking that Silverstone instead since I've heard great attributes from it and since I'm on a tight budget, it looks like that would benefit the best for me it seems.

For the 32-bit OS(What's OS?) and the 64-bit, I think that I can vouch for the 64-bit since I can upgrade those drivers within time.

The memory, I think I' ll most likely go with the 4GB of RAM, can the list support up to 8GB of RAM? Not intending to go up to 8GB but inquiring just in case I have too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey tylerscool,

Yeah the Video card does suck but I'll most likely upgrade that later since I'm not going to be doing any gaming but more multitasking which comes to my next point of wanting the Quad instead Dual Core since I've seen many saying that Dual Core is for gaming and Quad for multitasking but in the case of building a second System I might go down with the Dual Core. Thanks for the insight and most likely I'll be upgrading my Video card to the 8800 GTX but later.

So far on my list:

Power Supply $75

CPU $220

Motherboard $125

Case $50

Video Card $65

Hard Drive $75

Question:

1.) Are all these compatible with each other?
2.) Would I need a new video card or does is "it" already come with it?
3.) Would Everything fit inside that case?
4.) Since I'm getting the 64-Bit Windows Vista, which version should I get? I don't get the differences between Ultimate, Premium, etc.

- Thanks again for the help guys!

Edited by Daitech, 08 July 2008 - 04:54 PM.

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Daitech,

For your questions:

Kamille

Hey there Kamille,

So I'm most likely going to be taking that Silverstone instead since I've heard great attributes from it and since I'm on a tight budget, it looks like that would benefit the best for me it seems.

For the 32-bit OS(What's OS?) and the 64-bit, I think that I can vouch for the 64-bit since I can upgrade those drivers within time.

The memory, I think I' ll most likely go with the 4GB of RAM, can the list support up to 8GB of RAM? Not intending to go up to 8GB but inquiring just in case I have too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey tylerscool,

Yeah the Video card does suck but I'll most likely upgrade that later since I'm not going to be doing any gaming but more multitasking which comes to my next point of wanting the Quad instead Dual Core since I've seen many saying that Dual Core is for gaming and Quad for multitasking but in the case of building a second System I might go down with the Dual Core. Thanks for the insight and most likely I'll be upgrading my Video card to the 8800 GTX but later.

So far on my list:

Power Supply $75

CPU $220

Motherboard $125

Case $50

Video Card $65

Hard Drive $75

Question:

4.) Since I'm getting the 64-Bit Windows Vista, which version should I get? I don't get the differences between Ultimate, Premium, etc.

- Thanks again for the help guys!

Alright so after about looking through Memory Cards, it seems that these are a good course for RAM but I don't get the differences between them.

RAM First Option

Ram Second Option

Question:

4.) Since I'm getting the 64-Bit Windows Vista, which version should I get?

Sorry about double posting, just giddy about getting this new baby to me ASAP.

- Thanks!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi again,

OS means Operating system. What do you mean by "upgrading those drivers in time?", if a manufacturer do not release a driver for 64-bit OS, then you're out of luck. However, 64-bit OS is very popular now that most manufacturers release drivers for 64-bit and also some users that find a driver that works. Most problems I've heard are not finding 64-bit drivers for wireless cards.

Would I need a new video card or does is "it" already come with it?

For the video card, I suggest getting this one instead, 2600 PRO, its cheaper and if you check this article from Toms Hardware, you'll see that this one is 7 tiers higher than the 8400GS.
The motherboard does not come with onboard video so you will need a video card to get any display on your monitor.

The motherboard you selected can support up to 8GB of RAM.

Would Everything fit inside that case?

I am not sure on this as I have not seen this case in person.

Since I'm getting the 64-Bit Windows Vista, which version should I get?

Here's a comparison of Vista Editions, we usually recommend the Vista Home Premium as it's usually around $100 rather than ~$200 for the Vista Ultimate, the difference you can mostly make up for by installing free third party programs.

Alright so after about looking through Memory Cards, it seems that these are a good course for RAM but I don't get the differences between them.

The difference between the two RAMs are:
The first RAM has tighter timings (4-4-4-12) and also runs in a higher voltage (2.2V). Tighter timings is usually better but not necessary. This RAM however runs in a higher voltage which means higher temperature. Another thing is that you have to manually set these settings in the BIOS (changing the timing and voltage), if you're not comfortable in doing so (you'll have to check for memory errors when changing timings and voltages) then there is no point in getting this RAM.

The second RAM has timings of 5-5-5-12 and runs at a lower voltage of 2.0V.

I usually go with the one that runs at a lower voltage so that it doesn't create a lot of heat inside my computer. There are also other good manufacturers such as Mushkin, G.SKILL, Corsair, etc...

Kamille

tylerscool

tylerscool

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
quad core does not nessilly mean faster unless its a higher ghz get the duo not dual duo 3.0 ghz is faster then the quad you want just because it has 4 cores running at 2.4 ghz doesnt mean you have 9.6 ghz running nor does 3.0 ghz mean you have 6.0 ghz the duo is a faster processor im almost positive the only way the quad is faster is if you overclocked it to 3.1 ghz but you could push the duo to 3.8 and if you had water cooling over 4 here is a little thing i found for wanting prossecor to the one im recommeding this is the one im getting for my pc in december right now an over clocked 9800 gtx. here's the article to help you http://www.xbitlabs....d-q6600_12.html just so you no this is not dual core its core duo

Edited by tylerscool, 09 July 2008 - 01:45 PM.

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So I guess those RAM I showed are completely useless. :)

Well instead of those I've compiled two more and I think they should be perfect but I don't really see a difference between them other than one having Mail-In Rebate, Which I love and that the G.Skill looks nice in blue. Corsair 4GB and G.Skill 4GB I'll most likely be taking the Corsair since there generally no difference and I get a Rebate.

The Video Card 2600 PRO will I HAVE to be using an HDTV or HD-Computer screen for that to work or can I just use any old computer screen?

For the case, I'm going to be changing it to this instead. Cooler Master I'd rather spend $5 for the extra space just in case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey tylerscool,

I would be most likely taking your idea if I was going to OC but since I don't know a thing about it or doing BIOS, I think I might just stick with the Q6600 for now; I might change it up later on when something good for gaming comes out like...Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 :)

What's the difference between "Dual Core" and "Core Duo"

- Thanks

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Since you are not overclocking, I suggest going with the cheapest one which would be the Corsair 4GB one you selected. You pay the extra $$ for tighter timings (like 4-4-4-12 rather than a loose one like 5-5-5-18) and better heatspreader.

For the 2600 PRO video card, yes you would be able to use your computer monitor. The video card comes with 2 DVI port and if your monitor only comes with VGA port, the package comes with the "DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter."

What's the difference between "Dual Core" and "Core Duo"

The difference is that a Dual Core was the one they released after Pentium 4 that is basically 2 single cores in one chip. This makes it a dual core, or 2 cores. This is also called Pentium D.
Core 2 Duo is a true dual core, its not just slapping two old chips to make it one. This is the faster one if compared to Dual Core.
Someone would probably explain it better than me though.

Kamille

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright cool so I guess the Corsair is my choice and yes my monitor does handle DVI fortunately.

And now my compiled list on the new system:

RAM $90 ---Rebate--> $70
Case $60
Video Card $60 ---Rebate---> $35
PSU $75
CPU $225
Motherboard $115
Hard Drive $75

And the total = Rounded up to $700 WOW! :)

Question:

Does everything look good and compatible with each other?

- Thanks again Kamille and tylerscool especially for my future gaming system!

Edited by Daitech, 09 July 2008 - 11:28 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
For the hard drive, you selected an IDE one, SATA would be much better, easier to install.

I suggest either one of these hard drives:
Seagate 250GB 7200.10 (heard its a little loud though but comes with 5 years warranty) - $59.99
Western Digital 320GB (comes with 3 years warranty) - $64.99

Found a Seagate 320GB 7200.11, this one is supposedly better than the 7200.10 but seems like there's a lot of negative reviews in newegg.

Where's your Operating System and DVD-drive?

Kamille

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh wow I can't believe I actually chose a IDE Hard Drive instead of a SATA. Completely forgot about that haha. But it looks like I'm going to go with the Seagate 250GB since it's the cheapest of all of them and has very similar attributes as of the others.
For the OS I have a Windows Vista Basic I can use for the time being(most likely not) and the DVD-Drive & CD-Drive, I have 2 I can use for now which I can upgrade later.

So my new list:

RAM $90 ---Rebate--> $70
Case $60
Video Card $60 ---Rebate---> $35
PSU $75
CPU $225
Motherboard $115
Hard Drive $75

So how does it fair so far?