Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

soup&sandwich

soup&sandwich

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ok hi, I just recently unplugged my pc, and when I plugged it back in i got this message " a network cable is unplugged" of Course this is untrue

Now I have a D link DI 604 router and my other pc & laptop work just fine with it(heck even my ps3 works fine with it).

I've tried to plug my pc into one of the other router ports but still nada but, when I brought it to a friends house it worked just fine.

I have no firewall up (that I know of) I had zone alarm but its uninstalled now.

I also tried to go to dos command and get my ipconfig/release but it tells me "cannot preform when media is diconnected".

Also tried to reset my router and unplug it but still no joy .

Any help would be appreciated. Well I'm off to work I'll try to check in if I can.

thx

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello soup&sandwich and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I suspect that the slot that holds the Ethernet cable might be a bit 'wide' so that the cable doesn't make proper contact.
Another thing that can cause this issue is the Ethernet cable itself being broken so that it doesn't actually make a link. (Thus saying it's disconnected.)

Try to rule out these 2 (or find the problem) and come back with your findings.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 08 July 2008 - 08:31 PM.

soup&sandwich

soup&sandwich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello & thanks Artellos. The thing is the problem started when I switched out cables, I bought a new ethernet cable(a longer one) but the connecter was not as wide.

When I went to my friends house to try and get a connection and got one, he gave me that cable from his house. Now when I plug it into my router I get the message "a network cable is unplugged" but if I plug the ethernet cable directly into the modem, I get the message " limited or no connection".

When plugged into the modem I treid to release my IP address and got the following message "IP already released" when I tried to renew "unable contact the person that manages your network" (thats me by the way).

Uh, I also tried to repair the network and got the same message "unable contact the person that manages your network"

What can I try nexts.
thxs

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I bought a new ethernet cable(a longer one) but the connecter was not as wide.

I fear the cable you bought is a phone cable. (If you are in a shop always ask for "RJ-45" plugs).

So the cable you are now using is from your friend?
Have you checked if the socket on your computer might be damaged?

Regards,
Olrik

soup&sandwich

soup&sandwich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, sorry it took so long to reply. My roomates where gone for the week and I did not have access to their Pc,plus they took their laptop with them, anyways their back now.

Ok, right now I have the laptop plugged in to the router with the cable I have been using and as you can see it works just fine.

Also like I said before my pc worked just fine when plugged into my friends network at his place.

I'm just stumpped to what it could be.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello soup&sandwich,

Have you tried plugging your PC into a different slot on the D-Link router?
the D-Link might have a defective port.

Regards,
Olrik

soup&sandwich

soup&sandwich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello again Artellos, yes I have tried all the ports on my router. Its weird I have plugged my pc , xbox360,wii,ps3 & my roomate laptop into all ports and the only one not to work is my pc.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey there soup&sandwich,

Do you have your network card integrated on your motherboard or is it an external card?
At the same time, could you tell me the make/model of your motherboard or network card?

While giving this information you can also try this:
Resetting the winsock:
  • Open the Start Menu and select Run
  • In the white box type: cmd
  • A black box will appear, please type the following in the black box: netsh winsock reset

Regards,
Olrik