Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which RAM should I Get

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi I want to upgrade my RAM it's PC2 6400 800MHZ and I have no clue which one to get. I want something under $100 I was thinking about G.Skill or Corsair. Is there better RAM that I could get.Thank You.

Advertisements

tylerscool

tylerscool

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
crucial.com find the ram finder easiest thing ever i got 4 gb of ram 2 gb modules for under 100$ under 100$ go to a staples for the buddy and come out with 2 2 gb modules and find something for over 200$ easy but if you have 32 bit anything then you can have only something like 3.2 gb 64 bit forgeta bout it as new yorkers say and go home with 8gb of ram just go to crucial and find what you need and download the plugin so it can check for you with a hassle

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You don't specifically have to go to crucial to find a RAM, however you have to make sure that whatever you get is compatible with your motherboard, check crucial.com and see if DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) is compatible with your system.

I would go with the Corsair one you selected as it is cheaper (if you get the rebate) and also performs quite good or you could get this Mushkin one as well.

The Corsair has tighter timings but higher voltage (more heat) so it is generally better than the G.SKILL or the Mushkin, however the latter runs at a lower voltage so not a lot of heat is produced.

Kamille