Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A ridiculous problem

• Please log in to reply

ooknabah

ooknabah

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm pulling my hair out about this one:

This has to do with more then just web browsers, but please humor me.

So, my buddies are all starting to play WOW. I decide to join in, so in order to do so I buy a video card. (A Sapphire Radeon 9500 if it matters). Well, this starts the whole gong show- I get the thing installed, and it blows out my power source. Return the card, get a new one, install a new powersupply, and for some reason the network card doesn't work. My buddy thinks it might have something to do with not deactivating the built in video card, and after some tinkering, we manage to get the internet working:

HOWEVER....

Only select applications work. IE, MSN and Hello from picasa work. So does Limewire. Modzilla Firefox however? No go. WsFTP? Nope. Worst of all, WoW? Not at all.

I don't have any firewalls running unless windows is doing something behind the scenes that I can't deactivate. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

ministryofmind

ministryofmind

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This sounds like a software problem, I'm thinking some of your registry files are corrupt because I've had problems like this before. Have you tried re-installing the applications that don't work, including WoW?

Check windows explorer, are your control panel icons all there and accounted for to the best of your knowledge?

- Bunny

ooknabah

ooknabah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What's really buring me is that some of these programs (WSFTP, Modzilla) worked perfectly fine before this whole gong show started.

ministryofmind

ministryofmind

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Perhaps it's an omen about playing WoW? Wait for a better MMO, like twilight war coming out in a year or two. I really think your registry files are caput. Try re-installing one of the applications that didn't work. If it works again it's very likely your registry files got deleted or are corrupt, i.e. your computer no longer knows where to go to find components necessary to make certain applications work. I had to reinstall windows in order to set things straight. Do check your control panel and see if all the icons are there.

- Bunny

ooknabah

ooknabah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep, they are all accounted for. I might try re-re-installing the drivers, but my hopes are low.

ministryofmind

ministryofmind

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes but have you tried REINSTALLING the programs? It doesn't help fix the bigger picture but it does help try to identify the problem.

- Bunny

ooknabah

ooknabah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep- Re-installed WoW and Firefox- nothing.