Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with building a computer

• Please log in to reply

Trucont

Trucont

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So, I'm really wanting to build a new computer, mainly for playing Warhammer Online when it comes out and a little bit of recording (Not too much, just some random messing around/mixing when I can't get to a real studio) and I was thinking about some things I'd like and I came up with this list:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883227043

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820134581

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127341

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102010

So... is this stuff compatible with each other? Also, I'd like to run Warhammer at full settings with a good framerate (it should have graphics comparable to Lord of the Rings Online), however, I'm not a major graphics [bleep], so I'm fine with lower settings as long as the game runs smooth.

I appreciate any answers/comments/suggestions, thanks.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

So you're intending on purchasing a ready-made computer and upgrading it? I strongly recommend you purchase all the parts yourself and build it. We can help you choose much better components for the price. Just name your budget - and if you are technically inclined, and can follow instruction. After building my first PC, I'll never look at pre-made units again!

Otherwise, it looks all good, the parts you have selected will be compatible to install into that main system.

Cheers

Troy

Trucont

Trucont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, that's what I was planning, because I wasn't totally sure what to do.

I know I can put the computer together, if I decide to build one, but I have trouble deciphering what all the specs mean sometimes because I don't have much experience with it. So, I'm afraid I won't be getting compatible parts.

My budget's probably around $1,000 as the max, so yeah.

Thanks

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
for a better graphics card go with http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130332 and if you are subscribed for the newegg newsletter you can use the coupon code EMCAHBABB which would put it $95 before rebate and $65 after.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

We can help you select compatible components, no worries. :)

So you have $1000 to spend - is this needing to include a new monitor? Mouse? Keyboard? Operating System (i.e. Windows)? Or tower only?

Let me know what you have to spend and what parts you need, and I'll recommend a build that would suit your needs.

Cheers

Troy

Trucont

Trucont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm... I have speakers and a keyboard and all that good stuff. I was planning on keeping those just to keep costs down. They're really pretty old, but they all work well enough.

I suppose I'll be using the graphics card mentioned above (thanks by the way).

And the Sound card I had picked out earlier, unless there's one that someone can suggest that is much better for a reasonable price.

I really need help finding a good case, motherboard, and CPU. I'm having the most trouble figuring out which of those to get since there are so many to choose from and all the specs tend to confuse me a bit. Is a barebones kit a good option that I could use?

Thanks again

Edited by Trucont, 11 July 2008 - 11:47 AM.

cheyenna345

cheyenna345

• Pip
  • 5 posts
That sounds hard. :) Good luck!!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Barebones kits are not the best way to go, in my opinion. I often find parts get changed around, and upgraded, and you may as well have just got what you wanted right from the start.

For $1000, here's what I would do:

Case $69.95
Motherboard $89.99
Video Card $189.99
Power Supply $89.99
Processor $189.99
Memory (RAM) $49.99
Hard Drive $84.99
DVD Burner $24.99
Sound Card $90.99
Operating System $109.99

Let me know what you think of this build. You were worried about compatibility of components - I have double-checked them all, this build will work great! :)

Cheers

Troy

Trucont

Trucont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cool, thanks for the help. I'll check it out soon hopefully.