Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Won't Recognize Nikon Camera - Afraid to mess with registry

• Please log in to reply

dpape

dpape

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey guys, could use some help here. My computer won't read my camera when I plug it in (Coolpix S200). :) It has worked fine previously.
I went to device manager and when I clicked on the camera it said
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
I found some info online about deleting the upper and lower filters from the registry, but I really don't know what I'm doing so I don't want to start deleting things.
Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!
DP

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dpape...

Try a System Restore to a date before the problem began and see if the problem persists.

wannabe1

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Wannabe1...thanks for getting back to me so fast. :)
Um, that might be a problem. About 2 weeks ago I had a problem with Malware and my comp running pretty slow. I got it all cleaned up with the help of someone from the malware forum. After I got done he told me to create a new restore point and erase any old restore dates.
Can I still go back....?

Here is the link to some other people that have had the same problem. What do you think of this?
http://www.annoyance...inxp/1108288448

Sorry if I'm a little slow at all this.....
dpape

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would work if your camera was an optical drive. That particular CLSID is reserved for cd/dvd drives, I do believe.

How long have you been having the problem with the camera? You should be able to go back as far as the restore point you created after you eliminated all the old ones during the malware removal. There should be several by now. The question is...can you go back far enough to fix the problem?

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just noticed the problem today. I haven't imported pictures on my computer for quite some time (I think the last time was late March). I just checked my restore points. I guess I didn't eliminate all of the restore points before I fixed the malware probelm, but they don't go back that far.
My oldest one is 6/17/08. The one I manually did after all the problems were fixed was on 7/2/08 (just last week). I hate to go to a date before that... :)

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Would it work just to uninstall the software and reinstall it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would certainly be worth a try... :)

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright, I'll try that sometime tomorrow and report back...

Thanks again

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Have you tried changing the mode that the camera is in when you attach it to a computer? There are usually two modes (and they can be named differently) one is Disk mode which pretty much uses the camera as a USB card reader. Any Windows machine *should* be able to recognize it as such. The other mode, which it is probably in now, is a standalone/camera mode where Windows will recognize it as a camera and start the photo import wizard thing (this mode requires a driver from the manufacturer of the camera). Try switching to 'disk mode' if you are able and see if Windows recognizes it then. You can make the change needed in the cameras settings menus.

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Have you tried changing the mode that the camera is in when you attach it to a computer? There are usually two modes (and they can be named differently) one is Disk mode which pretty much uses the camera as a USB card reader. Any Windows machine *should* be able to recognize it as such. The other mode, which it is probably in now, is a standalone/camera mode where Windows will recognize it as a camera and start the photo import wizard thing (this mode requires a driver from the manufacturer of the camera). Try switching to 'disk mode' if you are able and see if Windows recognizes it then. You can make the change needed in the cameras settings menus.

That is a heck of an idea. I'm not home right now, but will try it later. Thanks! :) :) :)

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hot dang...that worked!
Thanks guys. All I had to do was change the USB setting on the camera to "mass storage".
:)

DP

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
No problem, that's why they call us geeks! :) :)