Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logs user in then logs right back out loop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

palmer41420

palmer41420

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I found another posting on this topic but it was from 2005.

I am working on a computer for a co-worker. It would boot directly to a blue screen. I removed the drive and did a virus scan with AVG Free and Adaware. It found "15 viruses" and removed them all successfully. Now when I reinserted the hard drive and booted it goes successfully to the multi-user log in page. I select a user and it begins to log in then says saving settings and logging off and returns to the multi-user log in page. This same process happens no matter if i log in with any safemode option, last good configuration, or start normally.

I already tried the recovery console

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

the wsaupdater.exe file is not listed in the directory from what i can see. I am assuming that there is a newer malware program causing the similar issue. Please let me know if there is a different .exe I should be looking for.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi palmer41420,

Can you try these commands instead:

<driveletter cd-rom> often e:
cd i386
expand userinit.ex_ userinit.exe

In some cases userinit.exe gets deleted or damaged. That would put a working copy back in the directory.

If that does not work you could try a Repair Install
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

palmer41420

palmer41420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried the first command in recovery console and received an error "Access is Denied."

I also tried a repair install. The install appeared to all run smoothly but when I got to the log in page the same problem still existed.

Any other ideas?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Working from the assumption that userinit was the problem, no bright ideas, no.

Can you remember or find out what exactly was removed?

palmer41420

palmer41420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have no idea what was removed. This was done before I learned that you should save a copy of your logs. I guess I will just do a full system reformat. I was trying to avoid this but it is my only option I think.

Thank you for your help

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I found one article that might help you:
http://support.micro...kb/307545/en-us

The procedure described there might get you back in.

palmer41420

palmer41420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you for your help. I tried the steps on this page and it still did the same thing.

I went ahead and reformatted the computer because my customer said they didn't losing a few programs they had downloaded if they could get their computer back quicker.

Thank you for attempting to assist me. You can close this thread.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Will do. Sorry the computer was beyond rescue.