Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Cafe Help, Urgent

• Please log in to reply

hingus2000

hingus2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, new poster in a bit of a pickle!

Im currently in Peru, and today I have taken some of the photos of my life, but guess what...I think I may have lost them.

My camera corrupted the card, fortunately I have recovered files before, and this time was no different. The program I use, PhotoREC, found all the corrupted files. I saved them to desktop, formatted the card and was about to write them back onto the card. Problem solved? Almost.

I am in an internet cafe, and there was a power cut. On restart, all the recovered files I can no longer find. It seems here, like many cafes, the PCs automatically delete all files a user has downloaded, or made on each restart.

With the card reformatted, now the recovery software can only find a small fraction of what was recovered before, and I really dont know whether to laugh or cry!

So my question is, is anyone familiar with internet cafe software, and could possibly suggest where these ´user´ files may have been sent or deleted to?

Im spent with trying to recover from the card itself, it feels like I have tried everything. But any extra tips that could salvage some more of the pics (better software advice etc) would be appreciated also.

Cheers in advance. Tom.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Moral of the story, don't format something until you're sure you don't need what's on it anymore. And be aware of internet cafe policies before you do things like these as it's often standard policy to wipe an account prior to somebody else logging on.

Unfortunately it sounds like you may be out of luck I'm afraid.