Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard problem, BIOS problem.. I don't know. Please help.

• Please log in to reply

Nate7410

Nate7410

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, today when I came home, my wife told me the computer (computer A) kept crashing today, and now it says there is no keyboard present and it won't boot up. I confirmed this.. it said keyboard error or no keyboard present. It was a USB keyboard. I tested that keyboard with this, our other computer, and it worked with this computer. I tried all 5 USB ports on Computer A, with no luck. The lights on the keyboard would not come on.

I went out and bought a keyboard with a PS/2 plug. The lights on this keyboard do light up. Now, the computer comes to the screen where it asks me to choose between Safe Mode and starting Windows normally, but it won't let me choose, or even press Enter. If I wait until it defaults to "Start Windows normally," it attempts to boot Windows but I get a blue screen saying that the BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant.

It gives me this STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I put in the Windows XP Professional recovery disk and rebooted, and now it gives me the option "Press any key to boot from CD" but again, the keyboard does not seem to work.

The motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI. I'm going to call the company that built the computer tomorrow and talk to their tech support. But I hate waiting, so I was hoping some of the knowledgable people here might be able to at least tell me what is wrong with my computer.

If you need any other information in order to help me, just ask. I'm more computer literate than the average person, but not a pro or anything.

Thanks, I hope you can help me.

Edited by Nate7410, 08 July 2008 - 10:56 PM.

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello Nate7410,

To resolve this problem, restart your computer.

If the problem persists, start the computer by using the Windows CD or by using an emergency startup disk, and then delete the Hiberfil.sys file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.
Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start Recovery Console.
3. If your computer is configured for dual booting or multiple booting, select the relevant Windows XP installation.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
Note By default, the administrator password is blank in Windows XP Home Edition.
5. By default, Hiberfil.sys is typically located in the root directory (C:\). At the command prompt, type del hiberfil.sys, and then press ENTER.
6. Restart the computer.

Source : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831691

Regards,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard has failed. If its under warranty, send it back, otherwise the board needs replacing.