Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

• Please log in to reply

mordecai

mordecai

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hi on my father computer it seems that i am not able to turn on the computer with out it restarting. A BLUE screen flashes then it restarts right after the windows log loads up. I think it has been refred to as (BSOD). the blue screen was once showed for long enough for me to see the error on the computer. it said PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and some other infromtion but i was not able to see it long enough to read it all. It also stared dumping the moemory Please could someone help me deal with the situwation please.?? is there any othe alternative othe that formating the computer?? the computer is mircosoft xp format

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello mordecai,

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

The first thing to try is to reseat each of your memory sticks and see if that fixes the problem. Maybe stick in your computer just lose contact from vibration or crapped out for good. This is usually the case. So, if reseating doesn't work get a memchecker and put it on a bootable floppy or CD and use it. Better yet, if you've upgraded your memory and still have your old sticks (or have access to some that you know are correct for your PC), replace them and see if that corrects the problem. None of this is especially difficult or time-consuming. If this doesn't pan out then you can move to the less probable scenarios like CPU overheating, power supply issues, BIOS-upgrades etc.

Regards,

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi mordecai

I have come across this error a couple of times and it has always turned out to be because of a faulty memory (RAM) module.

If you are comfortable enough poking around the insides of a computer, then have a look for the RAM module(s).

If there is more than one RAM module present, then what I suggest is to take out all but one of the modules, then boot the machine up and if it works fine you know that module(s) that have been removed are causing you the issue.

Do this for each module to confirm. Also, try each module in all available RAM slots, as it could be the slot itself that is faulty.

Edited by S_t_r_y_k_e_r, 10 July 2008 - 05:52 AM.

mordecai

mordecai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
could you give a step by step guid of whoat i should do and how to go about it if i find a fultly 1?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Mordecai,

Follow these steps to run with 1 stick of RAM.
  • You open up the side of the case.
  • On the Motherboard (The big board in the middle if you open it) you can see some sticks stand up (towards you).
  • Take them all out.
  • Put 1 RAM stick in the first slot (all the way to the left = nr. 1)
  • Reboot the PC and see if it happens again.
Regards,
Olrik

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello Mordecai,

Might this illustration can help how to remove and install Single Inline Memory.

Regards,