Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Networking/Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply

Schimon2

Schimon2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My name is John, and I have a serious problem with ISP's not once have I gotten adequate service from a cable/dsl company and in the rare occasion that it isn't screwing up it will do so within a week. The people they send out or the people you talk to on the phone have no idea what they're doing when it comes to the service and I usually end up fixing the problem before them...not in this certain case though.

Here's a quick run-down.

We're using a DSL service provided by the local telephone company, when I first bought the service it was fine; steady download speed of about 400kb/sec, no hangups or hiccups...perfect really. Three months after that I see a drastic drop in performance above download speed has dropped down to 100kb/sec, I can't multitask on the net (download and play games or download multiple things). There had been no change in hardward, software, or the service package from the ISP that we made, so I'm thinking ok 100kb/sec is still good enough for what I need to do (I'd still ping around 90-100 to most Counterstrike Servers or whatever game I would be playing at the time opposed to the 30-50 ping I was getting before.) So I make the call for a service tech to come out and they do, saying that we have a bad ethernet cord, and telephone cord. I shrugged my shoulders reassuring myself that the cords were probably getting a little old and needed to be replaced, I also explained to this dude about the drastic drop in internet performance, he had no idea what he was talking about and of course blamed it on "bad cords". Anyways, I get back on the net seeing no change in performance whatsoever but now my connection is dropping and coming back on every minute or so.

Long story short, we've went through 4-5 new modem/router packages from the ISP, 2-3 new ethernet cords, and a whole lot of minutes on my phone. New modem comes in today I plug the son of !@#!@# in and now my connection is dropping every 10-20 seconds like someone is in the other room unplugging and plugging back in my network cord.

Local Area Connection 7 is now connected...

A network cable is unplugged....

Local Area Connection 7 is now connected...

Rinse and repeat...

Please Please Please,

advice is needed!!!

John

Advertisements

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Do you have any other machines to test the network connection on? Or is this the only PC in the house? If you do have another machine, does it have the same issues? You have changed everything but the PC itself. Also, if you have more than one NIC try to install a second NIC and test the connection to that. If it doesn't drop out like the original, you probably have a bad NIC.

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I agree with Decepticon, check for NIC driver updates as well. You can find this from computer manufacturer's site