Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need BIOS setup list

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
My other computer that is down won't complete the installation of Windows. What it has is: Abit AN7 mobo, Athlon XP CPU (Barton), the PSU I think is 400watts, ATI 9600 video, 512mb DDR RAM and one SATA drive 80gig 7200rpm as well as an IDE drive for storage and a DVD-CDR.
What I can't get the hang of is the correct settings in the BIOS, I think. I keep resetting it and clearing the CMOS without success at loading Windows. I have read other posts here that I need to correctly set the CPU speed and the SATA configuration. I get confused as to what the correct way to set the CPU speed and the priorities for the SATA drive and IDE drive. I want to end up with the SATA drive being the boot drive and the IDE drive a secondary or slave, whatever is appropriate to good operation. I plan to use this primarily for Photoshop, scanning and graphics work. Can anyone either give me the checklist for setting the BIOS to accept Windows or refer me to a dependable guide? I have done a fair amount of this kind of installation in the past but it seems like everytime is different and I always end up asking for help. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the manual will have details on settings. heres a link to the download-

http://www.abit-usa....ies=1&model=158

I would suggest removing the IDE drive during the install, to ensure you dont load windows onto it by accident. it will be easy to add that drive after windows is up and running.

to install on the SATA, you will need to add the SCSI drivers. windows see SATA as a SCSI device, so during the install, when it prompts "press F6 to load SCSI/RAID drivers" do so. you can download those from that link as well. you may need to put them on a floppy, and install them with that.

post back with any questions, we'll try to help!

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I see I have mixed up the mobo in this entry, and told you it was an AN7 but it is instead a KV7. (My other problematic computer has the AN7)I did try removing the IDE drive before, but I will do it again to be sure I follow another better focused route. Sometimes I do things and don't remember what it is I've done and then have to clear the BIOS and try again. I see from the sheet with mobo jumber settings that I have left them all in the defaults they came from the box.
So this makes sense; I'll try to install with only the one SATA drive in operation. So my next question is what to enable in the BIOS. There are places to enable the SATA in the onboard chipsets for instance, as well the enable or disable the IDE detection. Also the appropriate boot sequence, I usually set it up for floppy, CD ROM, HDD. There is also the question of setting the CPU speed and fsb from the default to the proper speed for the cpu. I've fooled around with all these things a number of times but then it doesn't boot or turn off and I have to clear the CMOS. So, I'm going to follow your suggestions exclusively and ignore my "hunches" and "intuition" for the most part. Before I go any further can you tell me about the BIOS settings I need to create so as to get the OS to get past the user agreement? I already own the mobo manual as I installed all the hardware myself originally, however the english translation with what feels sometimes like chinese technical writing skills is sometimes either ambiguous or assumes I know more than I do. Thanks so much. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
audioboy's advice is solid for the drives and the way to install, follow it.

As far as the bios, go into bios and load optimizes defaults that is all you should need so try it. don't forget to save when you exit

These boards can have trouble detecting the right settings depennding on what cpu you are using so if this fails post back and I can give you the setup if needed.

You mentioned your cpu is a amd athlon barton core but what speed? 2500+, 2800+ or other.

What is the speed of the ram? pc3200, or other

What is the name brand of the psu and how many watts and list the amps on the 12v, 3.3v and 5v rails. This info is normally listed on a decal on the psu.

Your boot sequence is ok.

will get to those jumpers on the mobo if need be but the defaults should be ok.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 29 April 2005 - 08:39 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
in the BIOS, under advanced BIOS features, where you set the boot device priority, make sure "boot other device" is enabled. this will allow the system to boot to the SATA drive.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So, I've got a little progress. I set the CPU speed and the onboard chipset SATA raid device settings and so on, disconnected the IDE drive so as to install to the one SATA drive. Now I can't get Windows (which begins to try to install) to see the drive. I get a message that says there are no drives. It ignores my efforts to install the RAID drivers with the F6 button at the begining. Do I need to disable some kind of IDE setting? One consistent thing in all this, it will not acknowledge the request to install the RAID drivers. I did hit the TAB button on startup once and I got the RAID array set up BIOS page, but it was not interactive in any way. Isn't there a way to install this with just one drive or am I forced to get another drive to set up a mirror? I've had them before, but opted out this time. What next?
This unit has:
300 watt Dynapower PSU (probably need to upgrade this huh?)
KV7 Abit mobo (new)
AMD Athlon CPU (not sure what exactly) currently set to 1000mhz 133
Western Digital Caviar 120GB SATA hdd
DDR RAM 512mb 400mhz pc3200
Thanks for whatever anyone can suggest :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You need to hit the F6 button when it askes for third party drivers or something, you have to hit at just the right time.

Maybe someone else will explain it better or look for a guide.

You need a new psu that 300w is not enough for that board, get at least a 400w name brand I recommend Antec true series 430W. I have this board in my other rig and have set a few up and it needs good clean power you just don't get from cheap psu's.

AMD Athlon CPU (not sure what exactly) currently set to 1000mhz 133

We need to know what speed cpu you have for proper bios settings.

The setting you have listed don't make cense. Did you load optimized defaults and safe when you exit?

Rick

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yeah I did set the optimized defaults but then it completely hangs unless the cpu speed is set in the soft BIOS. I'm trying to remember what the speed is and am guessing. I have this CPU from my previous board which was an Abit KT7. I'm now questioning if I really needed to replace it after all but I did and replaced the graphics card as well. For reasons I don't recall, I seem to not have the documentation for the cpu any more. Should I take it out to look at it? I have it currently set at 1000mhz133. The optimized default set it at the minimum and it didn't work at all. It automatically sets the ratios when the CPU setting is defined. I can take it out, but I'd prefer to avoid replacing the thermo coupling stuff if I can. It means cleaning it off and replacing it again and all that. I already did that once. Is there another way to identify the CPU specifications?
I have been suspecting the PSU was too small for the last few days and it seems like a good idea to replace it now.
Currently the system is going fine up to the OS setup which asks if you want to do a complete installation or a repair and when I hit enter (or R for that matter) it tells me that Windows can't find any drives installed. It seems as though the issue revolves around the SATA setting. I'm only using one drive, on the first SATA connection. Since there is only one it can't be a RAID array, so I'm wondering if I have set something wrong in the BIOS settings for onboard chipset or something to do with drive recognition some how.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Heres a couple of links to install XP on a sata drive
here

and here

Load the optimized defaults again but before you save and exit set the dram clock to user define and enter a value of 166mhz, then save and exit.

Other then that you would have to remove the hs and get the opn numbers off the cpu to know what it is to set the proper fsb.

Here's a link on how to read the opn number or just post it back.

Rick

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Well now I'm really stumped. I finally took the heatsink off and there was only one number visible. It was on a sticker and read warranty number 058-060302. That was it, no other info, unless it was covered by the thermocouple stuff. I was anxious about how long I was leaving it exposed and I ended putting a little more on it after swabbing some off. I've since fired it up and it did post OK and go into BIOS like before but I haven't tried anything else. I've got to figure a way out of this as my work is at a standstill until I get my computers functional again. Thanks for any advice. :tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when you set the BIOS to auto config for the CPU, things were working? if so, I would say on the reboot, press pause during the very first screen, this should show the info on the CPU. you can probably figure out the specs, based on CPU make and speed. go to the AMD site and look at a list of processors, I imagine there can only be a couple of buss speeds available for a given CPU model.

you can load onto 1 SATA, my system is that way. do you have a floppy drive installed to feed the drivers in? it is necessary at this point. future versions of windows will hopefully not need this, but since SATA is fairly new, the separate driver is needed.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So Here's something new. I broke down as a last resort and took the cpu out and cleaned it with alcohol so as to see the info etched on on it. i suspect it is older than I had thought. What I think is the OPN is:A1400 AMS3C AYHJA 0151EPCW Y7430530884
then a 1999 AMD copyright. On the edge was etched 27016.
I've tried looking up the cpu on AMD's site but it seems to fall below what I can find listed. Everything shown that I saw started with AX as the first letters. It does appear that this is an AMD Athlon 1400. I can't figure out exactly what it is beyond that though. It does seem clear I need to increase the PSU to 450watts or more. Do I need to upgrade the cpu at this point? This is becoming a dark comedy as I will eventually just have repalced the entire interior. I see some barebones KV-7V mobo with AMD Athlon XP2700 cpu and 450watt PSU for about $230 on Tigerdirect and this begins to look like a good buy, considering the corner I'm backing into here.Thanks for your patience. :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah yes, the upgrade fever has got you...
I have asked doby to take a look at this, since he knows MUCH more about AMD that I do.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Give me a bit to look at the numbers you posted, Ill post back tonite

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks, as I'm still stumped. I fired up the system after replacing the cleaned cpu and it behaved exactly the same. I made it 1400-133 in the BIOS and set the SATA settings to reflect the presence of the SATA drive. I see the Western Digital showing up in the POST so I know it is seen to by the system. Apparently Windows does not see it or allow for the installation of the drivers at the F6 request during start up. It goes through loading the basic stuff into memory and then asks to either Enter for full set up or R for restore. Both choices bring the message that there is no hard drive installed so setup cannot continue. If I don't HAVE to replace the CPU I won't, but it seems likely that the PSU should be replaced. Would this affect the lone SATA drive? I await your comments. Thanks guys. :tazz: