Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Security update (KB951748) 9th July stops internet connectio

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Windows Security update (KB951748) 9th July stops internet connection.
I have 2 desk-top computer and 2 lap-top computers, 1 desk-top is wired to the router whilst the other 3 are wireless. The operating system on all 4 computers is Win XP which up until today where fully updated. AVG and Ad-Aware have not picked up ant infections.
After downloading the above update all 4 computers showed the same problems – unable to connect to the internet. All indications where good connection to the modem/router with a strong signal but both Internet explore and Mozala Sea Monkey timed out and failed to connect. After doing a system restore to a time prior to the down load normal service was resumed on all 4 computers. Any one else had this problem, and can advise what to do about it.
Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello rustyagain...

Just out of curiosity, do you have Zone Alarm installed?

wannabe1

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Sorry to butt in the thread. I'm having the same problem, with the same windows update. I had to system restore after the update in order to get here. I do have ZoneAlarm, the free version. Is that the problem?

Edited by SillyLilly, 09 July 2008 - 12:12 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Apparently so.

Zone Alarm and KB951748 do not play together well.

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, so do you recommend finding a new firewall, or will they fix the windows update? Or can I just do without that update?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would assume they will offer a patch or fix the update. For now, I'd go without the update.

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, thank you. :)

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for help and comments, seems Zone Alarm is the problem and as a temp measure can be sorted by reduceing the Internet Zone Securitiy from high to medium, then down load the update.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
ZoneAlarm has a workaround listed on their forum. It basically says the same thing that has been recommended here, but there is a new update for several ZA programs including the free one.

Personally, I recommend uninstalling the update, go to the Update site and select to have the update removed from view to get rid of the install shield in your tray. Especially if you prefer to keep ZA at High for the firewall.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 July 2008 - 08:20 PM.

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'm glad someone started this thread! I was just about to ask why my internet won't work unless I take my Zonealarm firewall down from high to medium.

lenore2

lenore2

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I would assume they will offer a patch or fix the update. For now, I'd go without the update.

So are you saying it's best to keep ZA firewell on Med and install the ZA update, instead of removing KB9?

I'm hella confused!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
@lenore2:

Try downloading ZoneAlarm's latest free FireWall (see post #9 for link) and see if you can have both the High setting and the critical update from Microsoft. I just don't think every update they issue is something to worry about if you have good protection otherwise.

ron

Edited by Major Payne, 10 July 2008 - 05:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've found that even with the new version installed, you will still likely have to set the security setting to Medium to access the internet as long as the update is installed. I've only tried this on a limited number of machines, but the fix from Zone Alarm appears to be only marginally effective.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks wannabe1. Saves me and others from installing update and trying it with the new free ZA. :)

Ron