Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE AND SYSTEM PROBLEMS -ANTIVIRUS XP GONE?

• Please log in to reply

susan spencer

susan spencer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I had ANTIVIRUS XP08 on my system and worked for days on malware forum to clear thanks to Greyknight17. DO THE FOLLOWING ISSUES INDICATE SYSTEM-RELATED ISSUES OR INDICATE A VIRUS STILL REMAINS. CAN THIS BE RESOLVED/FIXED?

1. IE will bring up Yahoo email. After few seconds, starts clicking, ads disappear and states INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY WEBPAGE. Has problems loading/initializing mail. Clicking interferes with sending, etc.
2. SYSTEM RESTORE: CANNOT BE reset prior to VIRUS in late June. Will not go back!
3. Wirelss settings were changed and now corrected with system/router.
4. For diagnosis info. only: The system had new fan and motherboard replaced 3-4 weeks prior to virus. When system was returned to me, my home page of Yahoo mail had been lost. I've since reset it.

I work from home and use notebook for both personal and business. If these problems are indications that there is a serious problem on my system, I would like to know ASAP as to properly back up system. I am unfamiliar with easiest way to copy system and files perhaps onto new software available. Cannot afford to lose information however don't need to worry needlessly or create emergency if not warranted.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello susan spencer...

When you describe "clicking", is this an audible click or like clicking with the mouse?

There are a number of ways to back up your files depending on the media you have available to you.

What do you see for restore points when you go to System Restore? It's always good to clear the the System Restore points after an infection as malware can hide in there.

Do you have your XP cd in case we need it to run repair routines?

wannabe1

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello wannabe1:
Thank you for your response.
When you describe "clicking", is this an audible click or like clicking with the mouse?

Audible. When you select inbox, for example, it clicks once, then will click once or twice again displaying IE cannot display webpage.
At this point all banner ads are missing. If my other email displays them, they disappear when you hear the double click.

There are a number of ways to back up your files depending on the media you have available to you.

I have a software system downloaded from work that connects to their server. Donít want to lose this so great concern.
What do you see for restore points when you go to System Restore?
July 6-8th.
It's always good to clear the the System Restore points after an infection as malware can hide in there.
We ran many scans so he might have removed intentionally without me being aware.
Do you have your XP cd in case we need it to run repair routines?
Iím sure I can locate it. Hope it doesnít come to re-installing Windows, etc.
Thank you for helping!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We have some options other than completely reinstalling Windows. We will likely need the disk, though.

I'm assuming you have IE7 installed...have you installed Service Pack 3?

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello. My emails had the ad banners back this morning however disappear after selecting inbox, sent, etc. Windows update installed Malicious Mischief Tool. I don't know if SP3 in full or in part is done and is not obvious to me from Add/Remove. I also have Micro Office Word 2003 on system. I see update for Office xp3 on Windows Update site which I am not sure I have. At this point I don't want to install questionable software when I'm not sure what's there. I have IE7.

Does running the CD tell you what changes have been made to the registry? The only time I've done this in the past was with tech on the other end of the phone assisting. May be too difficult to follow otherwise?

When you back up files or transfer files from one system to another, how is it done to know for certain you are not bringing corrupted or virus onto back up or new system?

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wannabe1:
My system continues to malfunction and would like to run repair routines as you had described. Wanted you to know that when I was running all the virus scans previously, I downloaded a windows console as suggested during all the log runs. My system clock for some reason changes on its own from standard to a 24 hr clock which is strange. I would like to restore the system or know it is cleared from malware and before saving, backing up, or transferring files to another system which may be a possibility. Your help very much appreciated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't know why I missed your last reply...I do apologize for not getting back to you.

Have you found your XP installation cd? What I'd really like to do would require that.

To find out if you have SP3, right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". It should tell you, under the General tab, if it's installed.

Running from the cd won't tell us what changes were made to the registry, but there are ways to use it to replace portions of it. It can also be used to check the file system. It can also be used to run a repair installation (Retail versions), which is what I'd like to use it for.

When transferring files from a machine where an infection is suspected, you should make sure that the system you'll be transferring to has good, updated Anti-Virus and Spyware applications and you should scan everything you move before you move it and again afterward.

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes, I have CD that came with notebook:Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD. Is this what you were referring to ? The system is SP2. I thought that I had however received some SP3 updates. Thank you for answers in regards to not transferrring viruses when moving files.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just one more question..... :)

What is the make and model number of your machine?

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not a problem. Toshiba Satellite M55-S3262.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think the repair functions is available on the Toshiba disk... :)

You can, however, use it to restore the machine to it's original factory configuration. This would format your HDD and restore your machine to the way it was the day you bought it. Is this what you want to do?

If you decide to do this, you should get all of your important files moved to another machine, an external HDD, or removable media.

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you. The DVD states that it allows you to completely recover or selectively re-install software. There is only one disc. It says once inserted into drive for partial re-install, will show directions on monitor.

Whether or not to run the DVD is a good question that I am not qualified to answer. I still have the issues as stated in the original email inc clicking out of ads in yahoo mail. I still am losing wireless connectivity. The clock is changing intermittently. I am really concerned if virus still remains on system and how the recent system repairs might relate to these issues.

My notebook is currently the only system I have. Do you feel that it is significant that the notebook was returned following service and IE7 and updates were missing as well as home page? Does this relate to virus and or current issues?

Let me know what you think. Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by susan spencer, 15 July 2008 - 08:48 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I can't find anything in the user manual for your machine that tells what does what when using the disk. If it says that it will allow selective installations, I would assume that means it will do a repair or a non-destructive recovery.

You can try booting to the disk and see what options you are offered, but read everything very carefully. A non-destructive recovery will restore the system state without affecting your data.

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
If this were your system as this point, what would you choose to do or not do given the issues to date?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If it were my machine, I would run the repair. (Actually, I would restore from a backup image, but that's because I have a good backup solution that backs up my entire machine nightly.)

I would certainly recommend backing up your files before trying this as we don't know quite what's going to be offered.